cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryandunn
Visitor
Visitor

Place design floorplanning delay in Windows

I am using Vivado 2018.2 in Windows 10. When I run place_design, phase 2.1 floorplanning takes a very long time to complete (about 30 minutes) and no log messages are printed during this time. I am not sure if it is actually processing anything or if it is stuck in an idle state. When I run place_design in a Linux virtual machine, it only takes a couple minutes.

Here is the log output showing where it is delaying:

Phase 2 Global Placement

Phase 2.1 Floorplanning
Phase 2.1 Floorplanning | Checksum: 2039fbce8

Time (s): cpu = 00:10:29 ; elapsed = 00:04:56 . Memory (MB): peak = 6214.883 ; gain = 0.000

<DELAY HERE>

Phase 2.2 Physical Synthesis In Placer

Any idea what would be causing it to take so much more time when running in Windows?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rshekhaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@ryandunn ,

On different OS different runtime is expected. you can try with running implementation with -verbose option, might get some info on that.

Can you try this on Vivado 2019.2 ?

Or can you share the post opt dcp so we can check at our end?

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos
ryandunn
Visitor
Visitor

I ran it with -verbose and it didn't show any additional information in the log (at least in the section of interest).

My license has expired so 2018.2 is the most recent version I can currently run.

I am not able to share the dcp since it contains sensitive information about the project.

I would like to point out that this issue definitely isn't critical since it doesn't hang indefinitely. It would just be very nice to have the runtime reduced by up to 30 minutes.

0 Kudos
rshekhaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @ryandunn ,

I understand, and that is why i asked to try it in Vivado 2019.2 might be the runtime is reduced there. As i have seen in some design it has improved the runtime.

Please close the thread if no further concerns.

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos