Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Placement Constraints

Jump to solution

Hello, I am going through UG945 Vivado Design Tutorial and I am on Lab 2. I am not familiar with Physical Constraints and was wondering if someone can help me find information/documentation on IS_BEL_FIXED and IS_LOC_FIXED?

Thank you

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

BEL is basic element, LOC is location.  IS_BEL_FIXED and IS_LOC_FIXED are properties of the relevant item in the design database.  In general you won't need to mess with these properties unless you're doing dynamic function exchange/partial reconfiguration or advanced implementation techniques.  It is good to know but I have done many projects without directly having to muck with either of those two properties.  And in general you don't want to go out of your way to toy with these because it is a time sap, and you may end up spending more time hurting your design.

Focus more on lab 1 at this stage of your learning is my advice.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

BEL is basic element, LOC is location.  IS_BEL_FIXED and IS_LOC_FIXED are properties of the relevant item in the design database.  In general you won't need to mess with these properties unless you're doing dynamic function exchange/partial reconfiguration or advanced implementation techniques.  It is good to know but I have done many projects without directly having to muck with either of those two properties.  And in general you don't want to go out of your way to toy with these because it is a time sap, and you may end up spending more time hurting your design.

Focus more on lab 1 at this stage of your learning is my advice.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***

View solution in original post

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

You are welcome.

0 Kudos