Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Placement and routing constraint for RAM16X8S

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm using a "for....generate" statement to implement a couple of RAM16X8S blocks. Since I want specific slice placement (I want it to be placed in a SLICEM at a specific position), I'm using the attribute-statement in my VHDL:

ATTRIBUTE LOC : string;

ATTRIBUTE LOC of inst_RAM: label is "SLICE_X0Y0";

However, when I run synthesis, I get the following error:

ERROR:Pack:2811 - Directed packing was unable to obey the user design
   constraints (LOC=SLICE_X0Y0) which requires the combination of the    symbols listed below to be packed into a single SLICEM component.

I know the attribute works for regular LUT-placement, but I'm assuming this doesn't work for implementing LUT-based RAM. What is the correct way to do this? I tried RLOC as well, but apparently this is invalid. How do I explicitly state in which slice I want to place my RAM-based LUT?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi bwade!

Thanks for the reply and for pointing me to the full error. It is indeed a packing error, sorry for the mistake in the description. When investigating the full error, I found that I made a mistake. Using the "for...generate"-statement I was accidentally trying to pack all the RAMs inside the same slice, which obviously is impossible. I just added an attribute for each implementation, which worked like a charm.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

That's not a synthesis error but a pack error that occurs during Map. You didn't give us the complete error message. There's usually a summary line that says why the pack could not be done. What device architecture is involved?

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi bwade!

Thanks for the reply and for pointing me to the full error. It is indeed a packing error, sorry for the mistake in the description. When investigating the full error, I found that I made a mistake. Using the "for...generate"-statement I was accidentally trying to pack all the RAMs inside the same slice, which obviously is impossible. I just added an attribute for each implementation, which worked like a charm.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos