UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Problem in implementation stage: using clock source as an input signal.

Jump to solution

Hello.

I'm using KCU116 evaluation board ( kintex ultrascale+ FPGA equipped) and Vivado 2018.2.

I want to use a external clock source as a input signal to the FPGA.

And with this clock signal, I'm trying to synthesize stable clocks with different frequencies and use them as a data signal or a combinational logic input signal (not as a clock).

In the KCU116 evaluation board, there is a EMCCLK which is running at 90 Mhz (reference : KCU116 Evaluation Board User Guide - UG1239(v1.2) - 30p).

So I used this clk as the signal input source.

Below figures are my design and schematic of the input section (the upper MMCM has 'Safe Clock Startup' feature).

ti1_3.JPG

fig1. design

t1_1.JPGfig2. schematic

However, in the implementation stage, below error ([Place 30-681] Sub-optimal placement for a global clock-capable IO pin and MMCM pair. As a workaround for this error, please insert a BUFG in between the IO and the MMCM) occurs (there was no problem in the synthesize stage).

ti1_2.JPG

fig3. error

As suggested in the message, I added an BUFG between input port and MMCM, and below figures are my modified design and schematic of the input section (the upper MMCM has 'Safe Clock Startup' feature).

ti2_3.JPG

fig4. design

t2_1.JPG

fig5. schematic

However, in the implementation stage, below error ([Place 30-675] Sub-optimal placement for a global clock-capable IO pin and BUFg pair. If this sub optimal condition is acceptable for this design, you may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUNTE constraint in the .xdc file to demote this message to a WARNING. However, the use of this override is highly discouraged.) occurs (there was no problem in the synthesize stage).

ti2_2.JPG

fig6. error

I added the below XDC code as suggested in the message.

set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE [get_nets signal_i_IBUF_inst/O]

Finally, there was no error.

My question is what is the reason why I have to do such procedures (adding BUFG and the XDC code) to use external clock as a input signal

and what is the meaning of 'CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE'?

Thank you very much.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem in implementation stage: using clock source as an input signal.

Jump to solution

@kimjaewon 

Thanks for all the effort you have put into describing your project to us! 

My big challenge is to delay the clock that are activated earlier than other clocks so every clock are activated at the same time like below figure 5.

<Your other post> shows that you are trying to achieve this using MMCM “Safe Clock Startup and Sequencing”.  If you are having trouble making this work then you could instead route each clock through a BUFGCE [UG572(v1.8), pg29].  Then, you can simultaneously toggle the clock-enable (CE) pin on all the BUFGCEs to start all the clock outputs simultaneously. 

Having the same-type clock-buffer (a BUFGCE) on all the MMCM clock outputs is often recommended because it reduces clock skew.  Also, in your case, the common clock buffers will not significantly upset the phase relationship between the clocks that has been set by the MMCM.

Best of luck on your project,
Mark

9 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@kimjaewon,

The first error is because you are not bringing in to the FPGA fabric, the clock signals via clock capable pins. This is a recommended design practice. In your case the position of the pin and the MMCM are in different regions, so a BUFG should be manually inserted to route the clock to the MMCM. That is what you have done.

If you would have used a clock capable pin, then a BUFG would not be needed. The MMCM and clock capable pins in FPGAs exist in their vicinity so that routing delay and BUFG delay is reduced (you have minimum clock delays).

Please go through the explanations of these ARs:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64452.html

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66659.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to solution

@kimjaewon 

First, thanks for the effort you put into your questions – which are an example for us all to follow.

As @dpaul24 says, the warnings you received often indicate that a clock is being brought into the FPGA on a pin that is not a global clock (GC) pin.  As a result, the dedicated routing path from the GC-pin to the MMCM cannot be used.  When these dedicated routing paths cannot be used then clock quality is degraded.

In your case, I also suspect that EMCCLK is coming into an HD-bank of your UltraScale FPGA.  As explained on page 10 of UG572(v1.8), UltraScale HD banks do not have an MMCM.  Thus, a BUFGCE is needed to route a clock from a pin in a HD-bank to an MMCM in another bank.    

Can you confirm that EMCCLK is entering the FPGA on an HD-bank pin?

Mark

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kimjaewon ,

Generally it is not recommended to set clock_dedicated_route false.

Please check page no.104 for brief explanation:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug949-vivado-design-methodology.pdf

Thanks,

Raj

Jump to solution

@kimjaewon 

On the KCU116 board, the User Guide (UG1239) shows that the FPGA is a XCKU5P-2FFVB676E and that a clock source called EMCCLK is routed to pin-N21.  The package file for XCKU5P-2FFVB676E shows that pin-N21 is in HP-bank #65 and has designation, IO_L24P_T3U_N10_EMCCLK_65.  Table 1-5 in UG575(v1.12) helps us interpret the designation for pin-N21 as follows:

• IO = user I/O pin
  • L24P = P(positive) side of differential pair, L24
  • T3U =  upper nibble of byte-group 3
  • N10 = total of 10 I/O in this byte group
  • EMCCLK = external clock that could be used for FPGA configuration instead on internal CCLK
  • 65 = bank number

The designation for pin-N21 does NOT have the GC or HDGC designator.  So, pin-N21 is NOT a global-clock pin.  Thus, everything you have done was necessary to route the clock from pin-N21 to an MMCM.

CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE property:
Pins with the global-clock (GC) designation have dedicated routing paths between the pin and a nearby MMCM.  When these dedicated routing paths are used, the MMCM can compensate for delay variations in the path as described on page 56 of UG572(v1.8).  However, when a clock is brought into the FPGA via a pin that is not a GC-pin, then routing of the clock to an MMCM must be done in-part through the FPGA fabric (and we must use CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE=FALSE).  The MMCM is unable to compensate for delay variations in clock routing paths through the FPGA fabric.  The dedicated routing paths and delay compensation for clocks are important only for some applications as described on page 166 of UG912(v2019.1), “…fabric routing may be fine if the clock is only used internally, but the clock will not be usable for any reasonable speed I/O interface.”

MY RECOMMENDATION:
The EMCCLK designator on pin-N21 indicates that the user can send a clock to this pin that could be used instead of the FPGA’s internal CCLK for FPGA configuration (see page-40 of UG570(v1.9.1) for details).   For this reason and because pin-N21 is not a GC-pin, you should (instead of EMCCLK) use one of the other clock sources available on the KCU116 board.  That is, refer to Table 3-6 in UG1239 for other available clock sources and select one that is routed to a GC-pin on the FPGA (eg. SYSCLK_300 or USER_SMA_CLOCK).  However, if you can't follow this recommendation that tell us more about how you are planning to use EMCCLK and we can help you decide whether it is suitable.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

If you want to use the 10MHz signals from the MMCM as logic signals and not clocks, why not treat the 90 MHz signal as a signal and not a clock?  Synchronize it to the 400MHz clock, then use a counter running on the 400MHz clock to divide it to produce the 10MHz signals.  The Implementation and timing analyser tools will be a lot happier with this.

Jump to solution

@kimjaewon 

I'm trying to synthesize stable clocks with different frequencies and use them as a data signal or a combinational logic input signal (not as a clock).

If you plan to use the “stable clocks” only as signals, then you can follow the advice of @bruce_karaffa  – and (as Bruce says) keep the tools happier by avoiding the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE problems.

However, you can simplify things even further by not using FPGA_EMCCLK.  Instead, you can generate the clock-like signals directly from the 400MHz output of the MMCM that you are calling clk_gen.  This type of clock-like signal is called a toggle.  In the following thread, you will find VHDL code examples that generate and use the toggle – as well as a discussion of toggle benefits.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Timing-Analysis/Reducing-long-net-delay-routing/m-p/905620#M15370

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@dpaul24 

markg@prosensing.com 

@rshekhaw 

@bruce_karaffa 

Hello.

First of all, Thank you for your advices.

I'm sorry for my late response.

In my Question above, I forgot to explain the reason why I'm using clock signal as a combinational input signal.

In Digital Signal Processing (DSP) we use an impulse train to figure out the IIR (Infinite Impulse response) of an system as below figure1.

IIR.png

figure 1

This might not be a exact analogy but what I'm trying to do is very similar to above.

The main difference is that I'm using a clock signal rather than a impulse train as below figure2.

ISR.png

figure 2

My input system is illustrated in below figure3.

w.png

figure 3

MMCM creates stable clock signals and these clock signals have same frequency.

In my first question, I mentioned that the output clock is 10 Mhz.

But actually, the output clocks could range between 5~100 Mhz and there could be decimal point such as 10.42 Mhz or 42.152 Mhz.

These clocks must be uncorrelated with the system clock which is running at 400 Mhz (and no phase aligned with the system clock).

Additionally, these signals must have fixed, known phase difference (so Phase alignment in MMCM is necessary).

The problem with this design is that all clock signals must be active at the same time.

For example, in below figure 4, the time when the clocks are stable is different.

n.png

figure 4

As a result, they become active at different times.

My big challenge is to delay the clock that are activated earlier than other clocks so every clock are activated at the same time like below figure 5.

y.png

figure 5

I tried to use the 'Safe Clock Startup' in the MMCM settings but I'm not sure if it is working as I intended.

The reason why I am synchronizing the start of the clock signals as mentioned above is that I need to measure the time interval between the rising edges of the clock signals as below figure 6.

mti.png

figure 6

After the measurement of the time interval, I will compare it with the time interval calculated from the phase difference in the MMCM settings and find out if they are similar.

For example, If have a 2 clocks with 10 Mhz frequency (period: 100 ns) and the phase difference between them is 180 degree, the time interval I measured should be approximately 50 ns.

There might be a little bit of time shift, perhaps 2 ns so the measurement is around 48 ns, because of factors such as signal propagation delay.

But the most important thing is that the standard deviation of these time interval measurements must be as small as possible.

@dpaul24 

Thank you for help.

Unfortunately the input signal I'm using is not a clock capable pin.

In UG1239 page 29, there are lots of clocks I can use in KCU116 board.

I'm using the SYSCLK_300_ clock as my system running clock which is connected through the clock capable pin.

However, other clocks like CLK_125_MHZ_ or FPGA_EMCCLK needs BUFGs; CLK_125_MHZ_ is a clock capable pin but it is in HIGH_DENSITY IO banks so that BUFG is necessary, and FPGA_EMCCLK is not a clock capable pin.

I am using FPGA_EMCCLK so I guess BUFG is necessary.

@rshekhaw 

Thank you for help.

Unfortunately the input signal I'm using is not a clock capable pin.

In UG1239 page 29, there are lots of clocks I can use in KCU116 board.

I'm using the SYSCLK_300_ clock as my system running clock which is connected through the clock capable pin.

However, other clocks like CLK_125_MHZ_ or FPGA_EMCCLK needs BUFGs; CLK_125_MHZ_ is a clock capable pin but it is in HIGH_DENSITY IO banks so that BUFG is necessary, and FPGA_EMCCLK is not a clock capable pin.

I am using FPGA_EMCCLK so BUFG is necessary and I had to set clock_dedicated_route as false.

@bruce_karaffa 

Thank you for help.

Unfortunately, the output frequency of the clock might not be a integer number.

That is, the clock ouput could be floating number such as 25.195 Mhz or 16.124 Mhz.

So I think counter is not suitable in my design.

markg@prosensing.com 

Thank you for help.

I read all of your advices and data sheets you mentioned.

The SYSCLK_300 is already used for the whole system clock so that I had to use other clocks (UG1239 page 29).

Thanks for all of your help.

Jump to solution

@kimjaewon 

Thanks for all the effort you have put into describing your project to us! 

<Your other post> shows that you are trying to achieve this using MMCM “Safe Clock Startup and Sequencing”.  If you are having trouble making this work then you could instead route each clock through a BUFGCE [UG572(v1.8), pg29].  Then, you can simultaneously toggle the clock-enable (CE) pin on all the BUFGCEs to start all the clock outputs simultaneously. 

Having the same-type clock-buffer (a BUFGCE) on all the MMCM clock outputs is often recommended because it reduces clock skew.  Also, in your case, the common clock buffers will not significantly upset the phase relationship between the clocks that has been set by the MMCM.

Best of luck on your project,
Mark

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

markg@prosensing.com 

Hello.

Thank you for your advice.

As you mentioned, I used the lock signal in the MMCM as the clock_enable (CE) pin in the BUFGCE (below figure) and it worked! abc.png

Thank you once again for your advice and consideration.

Kim

0 Kudos