cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarryCLC

Regarding hierarchical design flow assembly flow

This is my first time trying to post here, so please let me know I am missing something.

I am working on a project involving implementing a partitioned design on the vu37p. The main flow of the project is to:

1. Synth, place, and route an OOC module with a set of different parameters (including different pblocks)
  2. Collect timing data from all of these OOC modules for analysis (mostly the max frequency)
  3. Base on the analysis, compile a top-level module to link up around 3~4 of these pre-compiled OOC modules

I have read through the UG905-Hierarchical Design and UG909-Partial Reconfiguration and due to the bottom-up nature of the flow, I have determined that my objective is more closely align to the one described in the HD flow.

I have successfully compiled a few OOC modules without specifying the clock port and link them up in a top-level module (go through synth, place, and route).

However, when I add the clock constraint to the OOC module, a "Failed to do clock region partitioning" appears when I try to route the top-level module. Here comes the difficulty, when I compile the OOC module separately, I need to specify the clock port via "create_clock" to obtain an accurate timing estimation (for analysis).

I have read up on the two properties "HD.CLK_SRC" and "HD.PARTPIN_LOCS" and seem to require knowledge of the exact tile and clock buffer used when doing the OOC flow. I have tried both properties but the result dcps still causes the same error when applied in the top-level module placing flow. So my questions are:

1. Is there a way to collect each OOC module's post routed timing info without specifying a clock port?
  2. If no, is there a way to create a clock on the clock port of the OOC module and not have the "Failed to do clock region partitioning" error?
  3. Is there more info of the "HD.CLK_SRC" / "HD.PARTPIN_LOCS" / "HD.PARTPIN_RANGE" properties?
  4. Am I heading in the wrong direction for approaching this bottom-up flow?

Is there any way I can have the TCL scripts for the flow in UG905 for reference which is mentioned on page 20.

Thanks ahead for any help.

1 Reply
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

Great post.  

For 4, contact your Xilinx or Avnet FAE. 

For 1 and 2, have you tried instantiating a BUFG (or variant) in your OOC?

I cannot help on 3.

On 4, it looks good to me--but that is from a 10,000 foot view. 

The create_clock command is a command that specifies the properties of the signal used as a clock.  It has been awhile, but if you aren't putting an OOC create_clock constraint, you may want to do that (possibly with a BUFG instantiation or similar).  Synthesis is timing driven so having a clock defined during OOC synthesis will help improve results (in general).

Anyway, I hope somebody from Xilinx responds....but for this type of question, you would have the best luck with a Xilinx FAE with lots of FPGA experience.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Please remember to give internet points to those who help you here. ***
0 Kudos