cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Resources estimation: real implementation of applications

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have read lots of Xilinx official documents, included datasheets. I expected to find there example of implementations of real application onto Xilinx 7- FPGAs (ideally Spartan or Virtex families), but unfortunately I did not.

I need to get an idea about real numbers that characterize IP blocks of real applications that will be executed in FPGA. For example, the amout of reconfigurable blocks used, other hardware resources such as memory or dsp slices used as well as execution timing.

Resuming, my purpose is to get an idea about real implementations of various applications. Do you know where can I find these kind of information? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Resources estimation: real implementation of applications

Jump to solution

because of the above varability of desings and chips,

they do not exist.

Once apon a time, say 30 years ago , there was an effort to come up with standard bench marks,

but the variabilty and growth in fpgas soon made them redundant.

Sorry, the way outlines is it.

( you can get an idea, some times, by looking around for IP blocks, they some times have resource utilisation in the data sheets, especialy in the seller is trying to claim how compact the design is )

https://www.design-reuse.com/sip/?q=fft

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution

As there are so many variables, no tleast 4 or 6 input LUTs, DSP 1 or DSP 2, Block ram sizes et all,

Im afraid that comes with experiance,

The best bet is to try.

For simple stuff you can work out the best hardware way and code acordingly, you just have to knwo the chips contetns as per the data sheets.

More complex designs, try building.

you will soon get the hang of it.

I've been in the business 40 plus years, I can guess better than I did, but I still have to do the same.

One word of warning,

vivado runs till it meets your timing constraints.

that means the tools will stop , probably before they have done a maximum optimisation,

But it does help you learn good coding standards, that work effectivly.

Once you get to synthsis that takes many hours , and days if you code badly, then you will appreciate good coding standards.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello drjohnsmith, thank you for your reply and your advices.

Unfortunately, it does not totally answer to my question.

What I am looking for is some written examples of hardware design, possibly on Spartan or Virtex FPGAs. Is it possible that a similar document does not exist?

Bests, 

Matteo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution

because of the above varability of desings and chips,

they do not exist.

Once apon a time, say 30 years ago , there was an effort to come up with standard bench marks,

but the variabilty and growth in fpgas soon made them redundant.

Sorry, the way outlines is it.

( you can get an idea, some times, by looking around for IP blocks, they some times have resource utilisation in the data sheets, especialy in the seller is trying to claim how compact the design is )

https://www.design-reuse.com/sip/?q=fft

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Dear drjohnsmith,

You gave me a perfect suggestion. 
Indeed, I was looking for something similar to your last link.

Thank you so much, I close the question

0 Kudos