UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Specifying pin location

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm not really sure where to start looking, but say I have a "for generate"-loop and each instance of the loop needs access to physical pins on the FPGA. Is it possible to add constraints to place the pins relative to the instance placed? I don't want to physically specify the location of each instance. Sorry if I am missing the necessary terminology to describe the problem, but I hope you understand.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Specifying pin location

Jump to solution

Vivado and ISE (7-series only) enforce a DRC rule that all IO ports must be LOC constrained. So in the end you will need to LOC constrain the ports rather than using other means to guide the placement.

IO components can be part of an RPM macro but there's not much point when you have to constrain the pins anyway and the placement tools automatically handle the relative placement of ILOGIC/OLOGIC BELs. The main use case for including IO logic in an RPM macro would be to control the placement of related logic in the fabric.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

hello

I used during my training session the Virtex 5 ml with 501 EDK ISE SDK version 10.1 and after créeation my embedded system by default and did its implementation using ise and after I had created the project "hello world "
but on hyperterminal I do not see the message I see in tera term malgrès other character that is set with the speed (9600,8, none, 1, none)

plese  if possible help me overcome this problem 

trying to debug a program with the MicroBlaze
Hi

I use the environment Xinx (edk, ise ..) version 10.1 and when I type in "dow testapp_peripheral / executable.elf" xmd console and even the test of memory, I oubtient this:

xmd% dow testapp_memory/executable.elf
system reset downloading....DONE
downloading program--testapp_memory/executable.elf
section ,.vector.reset:0*00000000-0*00000007
section ,.vector. sw_exception:0*000000008-0*00000000f
section ,.stack:0*8a307348-0*8a309347
setting PC with Program start Adress 0*00000000
xmd% run
info: Processor Started.Type "stop" to stop processor
RUNNNING>xmd% info: cable is locked.Retrying....
info: cable is locked.Retrying....

Does there anyone who can help me?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Please don't hi-jack my thread. Create your own.

Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

Are you saying that you want the pins for each instance to somehow have the same relative positions with respect to one another?  I'm not sure if this is possible, because the IOB's are not grid-based like other fabric components that you can generally use RLOC constraints for.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi Gabor,

That is exactly what I wanted to know. So there is no RLOC constraint for physical pins? I saw a post somewhere on the forums about a guy placing constraints for "generate"-loops. Maybe I can use a similar approach. Will have to search for it though. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The only other thing I can think of is to try to use RLOC on the input or output registers instead of the

pin.  This might depend on the device family, but for example Spartan 6 has ILOGIC and OLOGIC

components on a grid.  I believe LOCing the register to a particular ILOGIC or OLOGIC site would

force the use of a particular package pin.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Vivado and ISE (7-series only) enforce a DRC rule that all IO ports must be LOC constrained. So in the end you will need to LOC constrain the ports rather than using other means to guide the placement.

IO components can be part of an RPM macro but there's not much point when you have to constrain the pins anyway and the placement tools automatically handle the relative placement of ILOGIC/OLOGIC BELs. The main use case for including IO logic in an RPM macro would be to control the placement of related logic in the fabric.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I understand. Thanks for all your help guys! Much appreciated!

0 Kudos