UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Timing failure: help with constraints and clock buffers

Hi Xilinx community, 

I am working on a simple design involving two gmii_to_rgmii_converter IP blocks, and two AXI4_stream_data_fifos. I have the GMII/RGMII blocks connected two two ethernet ports on the ethernetFMC card, and I am trying to map the GMII outputs of the RGMII/GMII blocks to AXI stream interfaces so I can access them using HLS later on. I use the FIFO to appropriately cross clock domains.

My problem is that every time that I try to add an ILA debug core in order to verify an aspect of the design, it fails timing. I can't seem to come up with a design that doesn't fail in the presence of a debug core, and I am starting to think that I am doing something wrong with my constraints, as the design is very simple. AFAIK all clocks are being placed on clock buffers, and the constraints should be ok, so I don't understand why the design is failing. I am a rookie when it comes to looking at timing reports, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The project can be found at the link below, and I have attached a copy of the implementation timing report. 

I have read that some people experience the same issue with ILA, and have solved it by "moving all ILA cores to their own clock region". How can I do this? I can't find anything online that explains how to manipulate clock regions. 

Timing Report is attached.  

Project .zip can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2jy85roy9nav3o/zedboard_network_tap_FAIL_TIMING.xpr.zip?dl=0

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: Timing failure: help with constraints and clock buffers

These failing paths are not "right"...

From the report, it looks as if it is considering the BUFR as the start of a timing path, which it isn't - the BUFR should be considered as a propagation element on the source clock delay.

I don't know why it is doing this - it is most likely due to something wrong in a constraint file... (like a set_input_delay or set_max_delay on the BUFR pins themselves...)

I do have to point out that it is "odd" to have a BUFR feed a BUFG; this is not a recommended clock connection, and will have large and unpredictable clock insertion - but that isn't what is causing this failure...

Look through all the .xdc files associated with the project - both your user .xdc files as well as all the .xdc files associated with the IP (the RGMII/GMII converter as well as the ILA).

Avrum

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Timing failure: help with constraints and clock buffers

@avrumw Thanks so much for the response! Apologies for the delay, I've been out of town. Back in the office now. 

I am an experienced embedded systems programmer, but am somewhat new to advanced FPGA design so I have a few clarifying questions: 

"I do have to point out that it is "odd" to have a BUFR feed a BUFG; this is not a recommended clock connection, and will have large and unpredictable clock insertion - but that isn't what is causing this failure..." 

1. Could you please explain why this is not recommended?
  2. The BUFR --> BUFG combo was inferred during synthesis of my block design.....could you please explain why the toolchain inferred this and how I might avoid a similar situation in the future?

"Look through all the .xdc files associated with the project - both your user .xdc files as well as all the .xdc files associated with the IP (the RGMII/GMII converter as well as the ILA)."

1.  what exactly should I be looking for in these files that would make the BUFR a source element rather than a propagation element? The set_input_delay etc. commands all seem to make sense to me (which doesn't mean they are correct however...I'm still learning!)

I've attached the .xdc files that I think are relevant, as well as the OOC versions (just in case). Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos