UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Top Module configuration

Highlighted
Visitor

Top Module configuration

Hello, I received yesterday my first Zybo board, and I was trying to experiment with it, mostly to check if it actually worked. 

My goal is basically just to turn some of the leds on, I really don't care which ones, I only want to create a helloworld hardware that simply turns one some of the leds. 

From Vivado I created a new project and imported the Zybo support files, I created the "Zynq 7000" IP Core and a "Constant" block that sends a constant 4 bit signal to the led. 

So my design looks like this: Vivado.png

I still have to specify which pin I want to connect "led" to, but someone told me that first I have to "Run Implementation", then I will be able to do that. The main problem is that when I click to "Run Implementation" a dialog appears that asks for the Top Module Name. 
Vivado2.png

So:

1) What is a Module? What's the difference between a Module and a Block?

2) What is the "Top Module"? 
3) What should I insert there?

4) Why does it tell me that no modules are found in my design?

Please don't send me links to Tutorials nor Technical reference manuals, I don't need "cooking recipes", I need an explanation (hopefully not too much verbose).

Thank you.

Explorer

Re: Top Module configuration

You simply have to make an HDL wrapper for your block design. This wrapper will be the top entity of your design.

Hope this helps

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
Visitor

Re: Top Module configuration

Apparently my problem was so stupid I could not find any solution online. You saved me from hours of random messing with buttons and menu. Thank you.