UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Ultra Scale MIG place error

Hi all,

I have a MIG(DDR4) example design in Vivado 2017.1 targeting for kintex ultrascale. After Assigning pin constraints, I tried to implement the design. But following errors occurred.  How to rectify them?

ERROR: [Place 30-689] Failed to place BITSLICE_CONTROL cell u_ddr4_0/inst/u_ddr4_mem_intfc/u_mig_ddr4_phy/inst/generate_block1.u_ddr_xiphy/byte_num[2].xiphy_byte_wrapper.u_xiphy_byte_wrapper/I_CONTROL[1].GEN_I_CONTROL.u_xiphy_control/xiphy_control on site BITSLICE_CONTROL_X0Y15 because Instance u_ddr4_0/inst/u_ddr4_mem_intfc/u_mig_ddr4_phy/inst/generate_block1.u_ddr_xiphy/byte_num[2].xiphy_byte_wrapper.u_xiphy_byte_wrapper/I_CONTROL[1].GEN_I_CONTROL.u_xiphy_control/xiphy_control can not be placed in CONTROL of site BITSLICE_CONTROL_X0Y15 because the bel is occupied by u_ddr4_0/inst/u_ddr4_mem_intfc/u_mig_ddr4_phy/inst/generate_block1.u_ddr_xiphy/byte_num[2].xiphy_byte_wrapper.u_xiphy_byte_wrapper/I_CONTROL[0].GEN_I_CONTROL.u_xiphy_control/xiphy_control(port:). This could be caused by bel constraint conflict. Please check if the cell is used correctly in the design.

ERROR: [Place 30-691] Failed to place TX_BITSLICE_TRI cell u_ddr4_0/inst/u_ddr4_mem_intfc/u_mig_ddr4_phy/inst/generate_block1.u_ddr_xiphy/byte_num[2].xiphy_byte_wrapper.u_xiphy_byte_wrapper/I_TRISTATE[1].GEN_TRISTATE.u_xiphy_tristate/xiphy_bitslice_write on site BITSLICE_TX_X0Y15 because Instance u_ddr4_0/inst/u_ddr4_mem_intfc/u_mig_ddr4_phy/inst/generate_block1.u_ddr_xiphy/byte_num[2].xiphy_byte_wrapper.u_xiphy_byte_wrapper/I_TRISTATE[1].GEN_TRISTATE.u_xiphy_tristate/xiphy_bitslice_write can not be placed in TRISTATE_TX_BITSLICE of site BITSLICE_TX_X0Y15 because the bel is occupied by u_ddr4_0/inst/u_ddr4_mem_intfc/u_mig_ddr4_phy/inst/generate_block1.u_ddr_xiphy/byte_num[2].xiphy_byte_wrapper.u_xiphy_byte_wrapper/I_TRISTATE[0].GEN_TRISTATE.u_xiphy_tristate/xiphy_bitslice_write(port:). This could be caused by bel constraint conflict. Please check if the cell is used correctly in the design.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Ultra Scale MIG place error

Hi @anoopjoseph

Are you using project mode or non-project mode? Is this a flat design or are you using PR flow? 

Can you share DDR4 IP XCI file and the XDC file generated using below command?

write_xdc -cell <mig_instance_name> <constr>.xdc

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Deepika,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am in the process of using MIG in non-project flow.

For that I created a project and MIG IP in GUI. Then I created a new project in GUI with only .sv files generated from previous project.

Could you please tell me what else I have missed? or is it not the correct way?

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

So you are trying to use IP RTL instead of IP XCI? 

This is not a recommended flow. Is there any specific reason behind using IP RTL instead of its XCI? Can you try using IP XCI instead?

MIG PHY is implemented during opt_design in normal flow. It looks like this is not happening when you use RTL instead of XCI.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi  ,

When I used .XCI for DDR4 MIG, it worked. Thanks for your advice.

In non-project flow, can I use the .XCI alone for MIG?

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

Yes, reading in the XCI using read_ip command should be sufficient. You have use generate_target and synth_ip command if the IP is not generated.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@vemulad,

In my existing project( non project mode flow), I have added ddr4_0.xci. After that there is an error after synthesis(Added at last part ), Could you please check what is it? .

In the script file for project flow, below steps are already there

generate_target all [get_files *.xci]
synth_ip [get_files *.xci]
get_files -all -of_objects [get_files *.xci]

------------------------------------

Part of Vivado log

----------------------------------------

1577 Infos, 412 Warnings, 0 Critical Warnings and 0 Errors encountered.
synth_design completed successfully
synth_design: Time (s): cpu = 00:04:12 ; elapsed = 00:06:01 . Memory (MB): peak = 3085.652 ; gain = 1105.926 ; free physical = 151872 ; free virtual = 310089
INFO: [Coretcl 2-1174] Renamed 1142 cell refs.
INFO: [Timing 38-35] Done setting XDC timing constraints.
INFO: [Timing 38-2] Deriving generated clocks
INFO: [Common 17-1381] The checkpoint '/home/project/ddr4_0/ddr4_0.dcp' has been generated.
write_checkpoint: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:16 ; elapsed = 00:00:12 . Memory (MB): peak = 3107.699 ; gain = 22.047 ; free physical = 151813 ; free virtual = 310038
ERROR: [Vivado 12-3437] This command only supports sub-design files marked for netlist generation. To enable this functionality, set the GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT property to true. If the GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT property is marked read-only, then select 'Report IP Status' from the 'Tools' menu, or run the 'report_ip_status' Tcl command to see why the sub-design is locked.
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Thu Jan 18 15:11:37 2018...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

Try using below command

set_property GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT TRUE [get_files .xci]

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Could you please tell me at which position I need to give this command ? (like before/after generate_target etc).

Because , I had tried this option. But had failed with another error.

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@vemulad,

This is the error I got.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

par of vivado log

USER: Adding IP /home/project/ddr4_0/ddr4_0.xci
# set_property GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT TRUE [get_files ddr4_0.xci]
# generate_target all [get_files *.xci]
ERROR: [Vivado 12-3563] The Nested sub-design '/home/project/ddr4_0/ip_0/ddr4_0_microblaze_mcs.xci' can only be generated by its parent sub-design.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

Can you show me the error? Below is the order.

set_property GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT TRUE [get_files .xci]

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@vemulad,

This is the error I got.

par of vivado log

USER: Adding IP /home/project/ddr4_0/ddr4_0.xci
# set_property GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT TRUE [get_files ddr4_0.xci]
# generate_target all [get_files *.xci]
ERROR: [Vivado 12-3563] The Nested sub-design '/home/project/ddr4_0/ip_0/ddr4_0_microblaze_mcs.xci' can only be generated by its parent sub-design.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

This flow is working at my end. Can you try specifying the DDR4 IP name in the below command?

generate_target all [get_files ddr4_0.xci]

Attached is the log file of my run for your reference.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@vemulad

Thanks I will try.

Then what about other XCIs in design? do they need generate_target?

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

Yes, if they are not generated. 

If this works then you may have to use separate commands for MIG and other IP's.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi 

set_property GENERATE_SYNTH_CHECKPOINT TRUE [get_files *.xci]

Below are the subsequent commands

set_property top ${design_name} [current_fileset]
read_xdc
set default_lib xil_defaultlib
get_property PACKAGE [get_parts ${device}]

synth_design -top ${design_name} -part ${device}
write_checkpoint -force ${design_name}_post_synth.dcp
write_verilog -force ${design_name}.vnet

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anoopjoseph

Please share your script and log files.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @vemulad,

I am sorry. I cannot share my original files. (It is controlled). 

This flow was working fine until I add ddr4_0.xci in the file list for synthesis and implementation.

Actually I am not so familiar with non project type flow. Any other problem can you see?

If I need to share the files, I need to create a sample environment  and reproduce the problem. Which may take some time.

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @vemulad

When I separated synth_IP commands separately , I could implement my design.

Instead of 

I gave

synth_ip [get_files A.xci] 

synth_ip [get_files B.xci] etc

synth_ip [get_files ddr4_0.xci]

Could you please explain why this happened?

What I understood is that I need to separate synth_IP command for DDR4 from other XCI. Is it correct?

Is there any single commands to do so?

Like, 

synth_ip [get_files *.xci] //except DDR4

synth_ip [get_files ddr4_0.xci]

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos