cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcar
Visitor
Visitor

Upgrading Vivado project results in unplaceable core during implementation

I'm currently in the process of upgrading a project written in Vivado 2014.4 to 2015.4, however I've run into a problem with the placer which gives the following errors:

[Place 30-847] GT-CHANNEL instance CXP_GTP_INST/GTP_MULTI_INST/gt0_gtp_i/gtpe2_i drives 2 loads of type MMCME2_ADV. This is an unplaceable situation since all these loads must be placed in a single clock region but each clock region has a maximum of 1 such sites.
[Place 30-99] Placer failed with error: 'Number of GT-CHANNEL loads make the design unplaceable'
Please review all ERROR, CRITICAL WARNING, and WARNING messages during placement to understand the cause for failure.
[Common 17-69] Command failed: Placer could not place all instances

The design is using GTP for a CoaXPress connection while targeting a Zync-7015; all of the IP's detected by the Report IP Status feature have been upgraded. Looking at the code, the source of the errors seems to be the gtp_common, gtp_multi_gt, and gtp_gt wrappers that have been auto-generated by the Xilinx 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Wizard, however I can't determine how to re-create these wrappers in the newer version of Vivado or how to read the wrappers to figure out exactly which settings to use in the wizard. What would be the best course of action for upgrading this core to place successfully in the newer version of Vivado? (and as a side-question, what changed between 2014.4 and 2015.4 that allowed this to compile in the older version?) Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

check in Vivado 2016.2 this could fix in 2016.2

check this post. this is not exact issue however related
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/New-Place-error-in-Vivado-2015-3/td-p/679671
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
vuppala
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @kcar

You can find the IP changes in changelog file which will be created after updating the IP and generating the output products of the IP. In sources windows, you will find the changelog. see below snapshot:

changelog.PNG

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
kcar
Visitor
Visitor

I found the IP changelog (mine was in the hierarchy) which was created after I used the Report IP Status to update any out-of-date IP, however the GTP core was never detected as "IP" in the first place. Instead, it appears as though the three files I mentioned are some of the wrapper files which were auto-generated, but their associated IP is not in the hierarchy (see screenshot). This is why I'm having trouble re-creating the core in the newer version.

hierarchy.PNG
0 Kudos
kcar
Visitor
Visitor

@balkris 

I tried opening the project in 2016.2 instead of 2015.4 but the problem has persisted, this may be due to what I mentioned in my message above where the project only uses some of the auto-gen'd wrapper files and not the IP itself, thus it can't be handled by Vivado's upgrading feature.

0 Kudos