UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tullio
Observer

Virtex5 with banks at different IOSTANDARD voltages

I want to share my experience, as I could not find anything similar on xilinx.com

I have a ISE13.4 design with a Virtex5 and a few hundreds pins at various standards including LVCMOS15, LVCMOS33, LVDS, and MGT lines.

I do the assignement writing directly the ucf file.

Initially I made the IOSTANDARD assignemnts like;

NET "rxRdy"       IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS15;

without making LOC assignemnts.

The idea was in order to make a quick ucf compatible with my IO requirements, and let the tool assign the optimal pins

In this case Mapper would fail with various error messages, normally not documented (some of them about LVDS RPM, other ones about MGT clock and data not matching, etc).

Then I decided to do the LOC assignemnt first, and the PAR completed ok.

At that point I also added the IOSTANDARD and again PAR completed ok.

Regarding my initial approach, it seems to me that on a certain step ISE assigns the pins, and a later steps find that those locations are not legal.

Tullio

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Virtex5 with banks at different IOSTANDARD voltages

Tullio,

yes. Its highly recommended that you loc your pins according to your usage in the design. The tools chose the defaults  and sometimes it might create a conflict. Ideally we catch these scenarios and try to improve our tools.

As a designer, I would definitely favour locing your pins in your design as per our requirement aligning with SelectIO guidelines.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Re: Virtex5 with banks at different IOSTANDARD voltages

Always use LOC constraints on your pins.

You need to make a PCB. You can't have random pin assignments, right?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos