UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Vivado 2015.5 uses more block ram resources in implementation compared to vivado 2014.4

Hey

I had a fully routed finalized design in vivado 2014.4 which used 98 percent of the block ram of the Zynq 7Z030fbg676-2 chip . I recently upgraded to vivado 2015.4 and just tried to run implementation after the import process and the implementation fails stating that the block ram usage is 100 percent and it could not place certian portions of the block ram!  This is a bit suprising. All I did was just import the design , upgrade IP's (MMCM, FIFO's , etc ) to the latest version. I even used the same implementation and synthesis strategy as in 2014.4. The synthesis strategy is Flow_PerfOptimized_High and Implementation strategy is Performance_Explorer

I know 98 percent is on the very edge but it still did fit with the 2014.4 tools. Is there something I am missing ? 

Cheers

Arvind

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Vivado 2015.5 uses more block ram resources in implementation compared to vivado 2014.4

Hi @arvindnr,

Please share utilization report of the design for both the versions.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Vivado 2015.5 uses more block ram resources in implementation compared to vivado 2014.4

Thats right. Its on a edge. One more thing that could help is to lock the placement from the earlier run.

Open 2014.4 placed and routed dcp.

set_property IS_LOC_FIXED 1 [get_cells -filter {PRIMITIVE_LEVEL==LEAF} -hier *]

set_property IS_BEL_FIXED 1 [get_cells -filter {PRIMITIVE_LEVEL==LEAF} -hier *]
write_xdc exclude_timing placement.xdc

Use this xdc in your project in 2015.4. If you are ok to share the testcase, we can file a regression CR on tools. 

Regards
Sikta
0 Kudos