Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado 2016.3 [IP Problems] Black box Instances error

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have an NGC file added to my project . It was working fine till my computer did a windows update and it seems like something also has been updated about vivado. Now for a project that used go through the whole implementation with no error, I get opt_design error for this ngc file when it gets to implementation. Here, I've attached screen shot of the error and design. I would appreciate if you help me out with this issue.

Thanks,

design.png
opt_design_error.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcb

Hi @ameneh_mousavi. I would try creating a PlanAhead netlist project, adding the .ngc, opening synthesis, and writing out an EDIF with write_edif "write_edif ./clock_gen_vbw_2.edf". This looked to work with the given design after replacing the .ngc with the .edf.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
marcb

Hi @ameneh_mousavi. Is the log available to attach? This might show what the cause of the error is. I would make sure of the following:

• The NGC can be found by Vivado.
  • The NGC does not contain a nested netlist.
  • The ports match with the instantiation. The command "netgen -ofmt verilog clock_gen_vbw,ngc" will give you the netlist ports.
  • The naming of the module within the NGC matches in syntax and case. 

0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've attached the log. I don't think these are the problem because the project was working fine and I ran it several times before the update and after the update it happens to error out. I have another project that uses the same NGC file and it was fine before and today I tried to just rerun it (without changing anything) to see if this one also gives me error and it did. The same error. 

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @ameneh_mousavi,

Have you upgraded your windows 10 with latest updates and facing this error or what?

Make sure you are using the supported OS for Vivado 2016.3 as mentioned in this AR.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54242.html

>>I ran it several times before the update and after the update it happens to error out.

As you said, if you are not using supported OS, it may stuck in an unknown issue. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

The OS is ok, because I didn't changed my OS. It is windows 10 64 bit. The update was automatic update that windows 10 does and it restarts by itself. This is my work PC, and the windows is set to do automatic update once a month at midnight and restart. So yes, when this automatic update happened, the same project that was working fine with my vivado, started to error out.  

Ameneh

0 Kudos
marcb

Hi @ameneh_mousavi. Can the design be attached? The only additional thing found when looking at the log were errors with constraints "set_output_delay:No valid object", but this should not affect the black box issue. I can set up a pier to pier file transfer if that would help.

0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

I can't attach it here, but I can try to make a modified version of the design which still has the problem I am facing and send that to you. 

0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

Attached, please find a sample project that I have made which has the same problem and is using the same NGC file I have problem with. Please let me know if you could open and run it. I am using vivado 2016.3

Thanks,

Ameneh

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @ameneh_mousavi,

This seems a machine specific issue.

I have checked your project on Vivado 2016.3 and saw the same black error in opt_design phase. And i found that there is one critical warning related to ngc2edif saying that this command is not successful. (As shown below.) And when i tried to find the edif file in the project directory i did not find any. Which means ngc2edif command has failed. 

ngc.JPG

Then i did the resynthesis at my end and i did not find any critical warnings related to ngc2edif and also implementation passes. And edif file was also generated in synth directory. That's why it seems a machine specific issue. 

1. Which version (provide version number) of windows 10 are you using? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks, let me try another PC to see if mine will work too. This PC has windows 10 pro 64 bit.

0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

Windows 10 pro version is 1803

0 Kudos
marcb

Hi @ameneh_mousavi. I would try creating a PlanAhead netlist project, adding the .ngc, opening synthesis, and writing out an EDIF with write_edif "write_edif ./clock_gen_vbw_2.edf". This looked to work with the given design after replacing the .ngc with the .edf.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @ameneh_mousavi,

Windows 10 version 1803 is unsupported OS for Vivado 2016.3. Please use supported OS for it as mentioned in my previous thread and then check.

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
kharobangdo
Adventurer
Adventurer
0 Kudos
hemangd

Hi @ameneh_mousavi,

Did your issue resolve? Let us know if you still have any queries on it or close this thread by marking as accepted solution. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
ameneh_mousavi
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I didn't get to try it, will let you know when I have the result for sure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
glienhart
Visitor
Visitor

What is the solution of this problem?

The problem with ngc2edif is still there. I posted the same problem in the following thread:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/ngc2edif-fails-with-Vivado-2017-2-and-older-running-under-Win10/td-p/876296

There is a general problem with the tools which Vivado inherited from ISE. Since Windows 10 x64 (1803) cumulative update KB4338819 from 2018-07-10 both ISE 14.7 64-bit and Vivado until (not including) version 2017.4 fail with processing ngc netlists.

I uninstalled the windows update and the problem was not there any more (which is not a proper solution).

The problem can be easily verified by typing ngc2edif in the Tcl shell of vivado. Then you get an error like that: "Failed to load library libPort_ExecLoader.dll because of Eine DLL-Initialisierungsroutine ist fehlgeschlagen." (German OS)

0 Kudos
glienhart
Visitor
Visitor

I found a solution to this problem:

Performing the actions described in section ISE 14.7 64-bit - Turning off SmartHeap of https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62380.html solves the problem.

In summary: Replacing <VivadoInstallDir>/ids_lite/ISE/lib/nt64/libPortability.dll by libPortabilityNOSH.dll of the same folder resolves the problem

See also https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/ngc2edif-fails-with-Vivado-2017-2-and-older-running-under-Win10/td-p/876296

0 Kudos