UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado 2017.3 not seeing board_files. Which init.tcl script?

Jump to solution

I am having trouble adding board files to the "board_files" directory in vivado 2017.3  . I am guessing that the initialization script, that tells vivado where to look for board files on startup, is pointing to a different directory than the one that I am putting the files in. I have read in the documentation that there should be a Vivado_init.tcl file where this directory is specified but I have not been able to find that script file.

Thank You

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2017.3 not seeing board_files. Which init.tcl script?

Jump to solution

Hi @miner_tom ,

You can put it at either of the three locations mentioned in my earlier response. Most convenient out of them would be first one - <installdir>/Vivado/version/scripts/Vivado_init.tcl wherein  <installdir> is the installation directory where the Vivado Design Suite is installed.

Once the script is at correct location, you should see message like 'Sourcing tcl script '<path_of_vivado_init.tcl'/Vivado_init.tcl' upon launching Vivado.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @miner_tom ,

There can be couple of ways to sort this out. 

1. Check for presence of Vivado_init.tcl at either of below locations -

a. In the software installation:
<installdir>/Vivado/version/scripts/Vivado_init.tcl
Where <installdir> is the installation directory where the Vivado Design Suite is installed.

b. In the local user directory (Vivado tools version dependent):
 For Windows : %APPDATA%/Xilinx/Vivado/<VivadoVersion>/Vivado_init.tcl
 For Linux       : $HOME/.Xilinx/Vivado/<VivadoVersion>/Vivado_init.tcl

c. In the local user directory (Vivado tools version independent):
For Windows   : %APPDATA%/Xilinx/Vivado/Vivado_init.tcl
For Linux         : $HOME/.Xilinx/Vivado/Vivado_init.tcl

This file can tell from where the board files are getting referenced.

2. At Vivado tcl console, type : get_param board.repoPaths 

This will show the repository from where files are being read.

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Ashish,

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestions helped me understand something that is going on and perhaps you can provide a simple solution.

I have several distributions of Vivado available on my drive, 2017.3, 2018.2, 2018.3, 2019.1, and NONE of them had a Vivado_init.tcl script. I searched the whole drive from /  (ubuntu 2016.04.5).

So, I created Vivado_init.tcl and put it into a root Vivado directory for 2017.3. Upon restarting the system and restarting Vivado, Vivado did not find it.

I opened a tcl console and put in:

set_param board.repoPaths [list "/home/tom/Downloads/vivado2017_3/Vivado/2017.3/data/boards/board_files"]

Then I used entered "get_param board.repoPaths". The reponse was "/home/tom/Downloads/vivado2017_3/Vivado/2017.3/data/boards/board_files". 

After creating a new project I was, indeed, able to see the board files that I had put into the board_files directory. After exiting Vivado and restarting, the response to "get_param board.repoPaths" was nothing.

The conclusion is that Vivado is simply not getting initialized at startup.

Can you tell me a directory where I can put the Vivado_init.tcl script file so that it is read upon startup of Vivado?

Thank you again

Tom

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @miner_tom ,

You can put it at either of the three locations mentioned in my earlier response. Most convenient out of them would be first one - <installdir>/Vivado/version/scripts/Vivado_init.tcl wherein  <installdir> is the installation directory where the Vivado Design Suite is installed.

Once the script is at correct location, you should see message like 'Sourcing tcl script '<path_of_vivado_init.tcl'/Vivado_init.tcl' upon launching Vivado.

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post