UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie michverc

Vivado 2017.4 (and 2018.2) different Implementation results between Linux and Windows

Hi,

I have a design which is increasingly difficult to route in Vivado 2017.4. Most of my runs have been done on Linux. I have also tried with a Windows machine which yielded much better results.

I switched to Vivado 2018.2 which provided better results in Linux (very low TNS) and good timing in Windows (no timing violations).

I have compared the synthesis logs between the Linux and Windows runs and found no relevant differences. But comparing the implementation logs showed that in Linux the tool found the design difficult to route (high congestion) while in Windows the tool did not report congestion issues and was able to close timing.

How can I replicate the Windows results in Linux (I need to submit builds on Linux machines)?

Thanks,

Michel

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Vivado 2017.4 (and 2018.2) different Implementation results between Linux and Windows

good question

do both machines have the same amount of ram and same processor ?

are both vivados set up the same ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2017.4 (and 2018.2) different Implementation results between Linux and Windows

Hi @michverc. I would try comparing the logs to see where they diverge, and what is different.

It also would be helpful to use the report_timing_summary command at each stage to see where the timing changes as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

0 Kudos
Newbie michverc

I use the same xpr file and source files on both setups.

I have compared both synth_1 and impl_1 logs. The synth_1 runme.log are almost identical.

In the impl_1 run the congestion reports are different with the Linux version reporting high congestion while the Windows one does not. Prior to this step both logs are very similar.

Both Linux and Windows setups are Intel Xeon @2.4GHz with 16 cores and 128 GB RAM

My design is using XCVU9P. Utilization is rather low (30%) but with high congestion regions

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @michverc. Are the logs available? There might be more differences included that could help suggest a course of action.

Also, where does the timing diverge? 

0 Kudos
Newbie michverc

With the same input files (RTL, IPs, constraints) and same version of Vivado (2017.4 or 2018.2) should we expect different behavior between Linux and Windows?

I am running in Project mode where intermediate steps are more limited.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @michverc. While every effort is made to maintain repeatability even different operating systems, a different operating system could cause the difference. More information is provided in the below answer record. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/61599.html

0 Kudos