UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor paul.tutzu
Visitor

Vivado: When placing some output Pins it automatically unplaced other completely unrelated pins?

Jump to solution

Hallo,

I'm pretty new with Vivado. Experience with ISE but not with Vivado.

I started a new project, I assigned the pins and everything was OK. I wanted to change the assignment and out of the blue when I try to reassign some pins I got the message: "Pins X.... Y ...... are already place and will be unplaced first". This pins/ports are completed unrelated one with each other. 

For example. adc_clk1 and adc_clk0 - is the same signal connected to these two external ports (out std_logic)

• adc_clk0 <= s_adc_clk;
  • adc_clk1 <= s_adc_clk;

When I try to connect adc_clk1 to G17 (Bank 35) vivado wants to unplace all DDR (Zynq Proc) pins from Bank 500 (or something like this).

When I try to connect adc_clk0 to G17 (Bank 35) vivado wants to unplace my LEDS(7-0) pins. 

I went with connecting adc_clk0. I started reconnecting again LEDS pins and at LEDS(4) now I get the same problem with completely other pins. It's like a vicious circle.

Please also see the attachment.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Paul

adc_clk0.jpg
adc_clk1.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor paul.tutzu
Visitor

Re: Vivado: When placing some output Pins it automatically unplaced other completely unrelated pins?

Jump to solution

Hi Florent,

You cannot see it in my pictures but I was already in the Synthesized Design (I checked it once more by 'uncropping' the screenshots attached to my post).

It works now. I didn't change it under I/O Ports Design (window in the lower part) but under Device Constrains/ I/O Bank 35 / G17 I assigned adc_clk_0. It worked. After a complete flow: Synthesize, Implementation & Generate Bitstream I tried again to change under I/O Ports Design and it works. 

Have no idea if I did something wrong??

Thanks,

Paul 

6 Replies

Re: Vivado: When placing some output Pins it automatically unplaced other completely unrelated pins?

Jump to solution

Hi @paul.tutzu,

You may want to try to change the port locations on the synthesized design (not in the implemented design).

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor paul.tutzu
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Florent,

You cannot see it in my pictures but I was already in the Synthesized Design (I checked it once more by 'uncropping' the screenshots attached to my post).

It works now. I didn't change it under I/O Ports Design (window in the lower part) but under Device Constrains/ I/O Bank 35 / G17 I assigned adc_clk_0. It worked. After a complete flow: Synthesize, Implementation & Generate Bitstream I tried again to change under I/O Ports Design and it works. 

Have no idea if I did something wrong??

Thanks,

Paul 

Jump to solution

Hi @paul.tutzu,

No, I have no idea of what was the issue in your first try

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I'm having this exact same problem in 2018.1. When I assign a pin to a port vivado unassigns another already assigned pin which is not in conflict and I keep going around in circles.

0 Kudos
Observer larshb
Observer

Jump to solution

I encountered the same issue, but it was because I manually entered the PACKAGE_PIN and then pressed enter. Not pressing enter was the solution.

0 Kudos
Observer cdv16
Observer

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem in 2018.2. 

Is this a bug? @florentw 

0 Kudos