UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jeromefievet
Visitor

Vivado - award me - faster - multi driver

Hello,

I am trying to compile a design which I am not able to simulate. The design is made of much copy paste, which involves possible "human errors".

Before I used to make synthesis with Synopsys Synplify. When there was an error of multi driver, which meant several "=> to the same signal" (in VHDL), the error was expected in 1-2 minuts... With ISE, it was also quick to establish the same error.

Now, for my design, all the flow of generating my binary file to be loaded to fpga is done under Vivado.

In Vivado, it takes one hour give me the same error.

The design takes about 5-6 hours to be processed. It is an issue making me loosing lot of time.

Here is the error:

ERROR: [Opt 31-37] Multi-driver net found in the design: XXXX/XXXX[0].XXXX/data_wr[0]. etc....

I've specialy introduced XXX for confidential matters...

Do someone have a work around, so that Vivado could stop in less time as did ISE or Synplify?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor jeromefievet
Visitor

Re: Vivado - award me - faster - multi driver

Thanks for answers
0 Kudos

@jeromefievet wrote:
I am trying to compile a design which I am not able to simulate.

why is that?

you should be able to write a test-bench either for the whole IP or the most critical part of it, it's the best way to get your debugging process started

jeromefievet wrote:

In Vivado, it takes one hour give me the same error.

that's the reason why we dont use implementation to test new things.

you should only implement things that have been properly tested (pre-synth. and, or post-synth simulation).

you can use the on-chip debugger afterwards, on the partial or complete implemented design.

don't forget that the on-chip debugger may ruin your timing performances, so remove it for any timing analysis

G.W.,
NIST - Time Frequency metrology
0 Kudos
Visitor jeromefievet
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I understand what you mean about that is better to debug a simulation instead of a direct implementation. It is what I do when I design or integrate an IP in which I can control easily inputs and outputs.

In my case, I make evolutions on a top file of a design, which gathers more than 50 instantiations of components. The design started more than 10 years ago, top design simulations were not maintened, so now it is not possible for me to spend time to start a new one.

I have not encountered problems until today, because ISE or Symplify was stopping synthesis very quickly in case of multi driver.

I would like to find a tip, so Vivado could stop in 5 minuts and not one hour.

Jérôme

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @jeromefievet

Actually, in Vivado, Multi driven nets is not report during synthesis as an Error but as a warning.(AR 64364).
CRITICAL WARNING: [Synth 8-3352].

Opt design phase will error out anyway.

However, you can  have the tool error out at synthesis phase itself by changing the severity setting of this warning.

set_msg_severity "Synth 8-3352"  "ERROR"

please refer to this AR on how to change severity setting of any message.(AR53981)
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/53981.html

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos