cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Why does the utilization report give me two sets of numbers for the same module?

Jump to solution

After opening an implemented design, I run the command "report_utilization -hierarchical -file <file_name>" and I get a file that tells me how many flipflops etc. a module has. I am confused however because many of the modules appear twice (in a row, but the second name has brackets around it). 

Here is the example:

+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------+------------+------------+---------+------+--------+--------+--------+--------------+
|                    Instance         |              Module           | Total LUTs | Logic LUTs | LUTRAMs | SRLs |   FFs  | RAMB36 | RAMB18 | DSP48 Blocks |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------+------------+------------+---------+------+--------+--------+--------+--------------+
| ucip_top                            |                         (top) |     259398 |     241469 |   12420 | 5509 | 355101 |    647 |    173 |          283 |
|   (ucip_top)                        |                         (top) |         14 |         13 |       0 |    1 |    307 |      0 |      0 |            0 |
|       mgmt_rx_que_ctrl_inst         |                 rx_queue_ctrl |       3496 |        744 |    2752 |    0 |    366 |      0 |      1 |            0 |
|         (mgmt_rx_que_ctrl_inst)     |                 rx_queue_ctrl |       3423 |        671 |    2752 |    0 |    191 |      0 |      0 |            0 |
|         fifo_generator_i            |      fifo_fwft_32w_512d_HD113 |         73 |         73 |       0 |    0 |    175 |      0 |      1 |            0 |
|           (fifo_generator_i)        |      fifo_fwft_32w_512d_HD113 |          0 |          0 |       0 |    0 |      0 |      0 |      0 |            0 |

How do I interpret this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @cpagravel

The row which has module name in braces tells the number of leaf cells present in that hierarchy. For more details refer to https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/Vivado-utilisation-report/td-p/371207

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @cpagravel

The row which has module name in braces tells the number of leaf cells present in that hierarchy. For more details refer to https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/Vivado-utilisation-report/td-p/371207

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post