UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor zzmzc333
Visitor

about the design comprised of Hard macros

Jump to solution

Hi!

If a design is made of Hard Macros, will the Hard Macros be optimized by ISE when I run design. And can those Hard Macros be edited by FPGA Editor?

Thank you very much! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: about the design comprised of Hard macros

Jump to solution

Hard macros can actually also be created in RTL (Verilog & VHDL) by using attributes applied to cells and nets.   The flow is more complicated and somewhat more difficult in Verilog compared to VHDL.   It basically requires low level design, with primitive instantiation of the cells, then attaching location attributes to the cells.   This works both in ISE and Vivado.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
6 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hard macros are untouched by ISE (synthesis, ngdbuild, place, etc).   The only way to modify them is using FPGA editor.

Visitor zzmzc333
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help!

I have tried to edit hard macro in FPGA editor. I opened a design in FPGA editor and then "Add Hard Macro Instance" to add the hard macro which I have already prepared. Then I go inside the hard macro slice, it does not allow me to do modification and gives me a message:

WARNING:FPGAEditor:101 - The component "HM/CNT_2" is part of a hard macro
You must edit the hard macro definition itself.

Is this not a correct way to call a hard macro? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Try these instructions in AR#10901 for creating/editing hard macros.

Visitor zzmzc333
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you. I have tried this and this how I made the Hard Macro which I added in the design. I think I am confused about one thing: I have seen someone instantiates hard macro in verilog code and Xilinx also provides a way to add hard macro in FPGA editor, I am confused if in both two ways, the hard macros included in a design can be edited in FPGA editor? I appreciate your help and it helped a lot.  

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hard macros can actually also be created in RTL (Verilog & VHDL) by using attributes applied to cells and nets.   The flow is more complicated and somewhat more difficult in Verilog compared to VHDL.   It basically requires low level design, with primitive instantiation of the cells, then attaching location attributes to the cells.   This works both in ISE and Vivado.

Visitor zzmzc333
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your help. I already have a hard macro and I will try if I can instantiate it in verilog.

0 Kudos