UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

open vivado checkpoint takes forever

Hi, my design on xczu9eg-ffvb1156-2-i-es2 is quite large. 

I first created block diagram using project mode, and export .tcl file that regenerates block diagram using write_bd tcl command. 

Then, I regenerate block diagram in non-project mode and run synth_deisn, opt_design, place_design, and route_design.

I tam trying to open synthesized design checkpoint that I saved after synthesis, but 

"Reading file C:/.../.Xil/Vivado-28952-DESKTOP-574N638/dcp/deisn_1_wrapper_early.xdc" takes really long.

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Re: open vivado checkpoint takes forever

Sadly, I don't know of any method other than a faster computer.   Maybe an I9 CPU with quad channel DDR4 memory?   In my experience,  using an SSD instead of a magnetic disk doesn't help much.. maybe a speedup of 5 or 10% in compile time.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@jmcclusk

Hi,

I understand it takes long to compile. But I meant "opening up Vivado DCP file" takes long, which is not something expected to me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

I know what you mean.  Opening a checkpoint is famously slow on big designs, even on monster machines.   I got used to finding other tasks after starting a checkpoint load.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @moon5756. I would try using the command report_methodology, and searching the results for "runtime" or "run time". There are a few methodology checks that will advise on how to better constraints. For instance wildcards that search a large number of design objects can hurt run time. Also, narrowing object searches to "get_pins -of [get_cells -filter {expression}]]" can help reduce run time.

This section of the Methodology Guide also has suggestions on Timing Exceptions with respect to runtime.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug949-vivado-design-methodology.pdf#page=169

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos