cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

place and route problem

I have a current design that I want to keep its exact routing. When I add more circuits to this design, it changes the routing of the original design, even though the new circuitry does not effect the original design. 

when I use UCF constraints to constrain the original design to the updated design, many nets are changed and the design will not map.

How would I go about this problem? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: place and route problem

r,

Why do you care?  What problem are you trying to solve?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It sounds like the design coming out of synthesis no longer matches the UCF constraints leading to errors. You can get around this by applying the constraints in the RTL so that the resulting names no longer matter. I could give a more specific answer if you told us what constraints you are using and what errors you are seeing. I would also like to know what problem you are trying to solve with this approach.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you don't want to disturb the initial part of the design, why don't you consider partitioning the design. Refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx13_1/Hierarchical_Design_Methodology_Guide.pdf for more details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I'm using a phase detector with state machine with a 65ps windows that needs dedicated routing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

bwade,

that is just what I was looking for.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

smarell,

This document will be great for bigger projects. 

Thanks

0 Kudos