Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

power estimation- saif files

Hello,

I created a saif file of a specific place. For example, for the signals
included in a pblock. Please check the attach file saif_pblock01.tcl.
After the creation of the saif file of the pblock01 I estimated the
power for these signals.

Then I created the saif file for all of my design. Please check the
attached file total.tcl. After the cration the saif of all design I
estimated the total power.
The total power is similar with  the power of pblock1.
I feel that this is not logical.

OK understood that the static power is there but the dynamic power should be much lower because the signals are much lower. I am interested for the dynamic power.  

In addition I checked that the saif file do not include all the signals that the saif_pblock01.tcl file demands.  

I use VIVADo 2014.4. My period is 8 nsec and I run my simulation in order to estimate the power up to 139632 ns.

Can you help please?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please share power summary reports also for our review.

FYI: Please note that if do not create .saif file then power tools estimate power by taking default values. Saif file generation helpful for estimating power more accurately.

Please refer http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug997-vivado-power-analysis-optimization-tutorial.pdf to know more details of power estimation analysis in Vivado tools

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

There are couple of things to check for:

Can you see if all the design nets are matched with simulation nets, to achieve better accuracy by including Simulation data? You will receive a info message while doing a power analysis.

INFO: [Power 33-26] Design nets matched = 2194 of 2194

Also, By default, Vivado Report Power uses nominal values for voltage supply sources. Voltage is a large factor contributing to both static and dynamic power. For the most accurate analysis, ensure that actual voltage values are entered for each supply. Similarly, ensure temperature and other environmental factors match actual operating conditions.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59456.html 

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Please find attached the power report and saif file for a small block.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I want to estimate the power in a small block that contains a small number of net. Please check the saif file that I have sent you earlier. So, i received an information message like that 

INFO: [Power 33-26] Design nets matched = 178 of 4745

In addition, there arevalues for all voltages.

Thank you.

Regards,

Paris

0 Kudos