cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dibonanaam
Visitor
Visitor

shift register high fanout CE drive

I need to implement a shift register that can shift 12-bit data 3000 times (3000 time ball pass between flip flops). I will use all the shifted outputs. I have a if condition for this just like:

If(request)
   shift everyone;

But I am facing very high fanout. The design is being implemented using SRL16E and the 'request' is going to all clock enable (CE). I am facing very high fanout because I am driving too many. How can I avoid this? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

You can use the MAX_FANOUT synthesis attribute to limit the fanout for any given register. Any register that reaches this limit should be automatically duplicated.

See https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_1/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

dibonanaam
Visitor
Visitor

@richardhead 

I just tried this but still I see the same number of fanout as before. Am I missing something? Both in and out are 12-bit numbers. Thank you....

(* max_fanout = 50 *) input request;
int k =0;
always @ (posedge clk) begin
 if(request) begin

for (k =0; k< N; k = k+1) begin
      if (k== N -1)
         out[k] <= in;
      else out[k] <= out[k+1]; 
    end

end   
end

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

very short code,

wheres the rest

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
dibonanaam
Visitor
Visitor

@drjohnsmith  this is a module that is wrapped by few other modules. The "request" is actually a strobe signal that is coming as a WSTRB from AXI. "In" is the 12-bit WDATA that I am trying to write to the "out". This is a serial in parallel out shift registers that keep shifting 12-bit number. But it needs to shift 3000 times to feed incoming WDATA to 3000 people serially.

Both WDATA and WSTRB are coming from another wrapper module (a block design).

input s_axi_clk;
input [11:0] in;
output reg [N-1:0][11:0] out;
(* max_fanout = 50 *) input in_strobe;

int k =0;
always @ (posedge s_axi_clk) begin
 if(in_strobe) begin

for (k =0; k< N; k = k+1) begin
      if (k== N -1)
         out[k] <= in;
      else out[k] <= out[k+1]; 
    end

end   
end
0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

MAX_FANOUT attributes need to go on the source register, not the input port. Because the source is a block design, you are probably going to have to do this via constraints on the actual synthesised register that connects to in_strobe