UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dipslg
Visitor

time bound netlist

hii.. Is there any way to create a time bound netlist in vivado. I want a netlist to be generated which is valid only for certain amount of time.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: time bound netlist

@dipslg,

I don't know if this is the best method....

Have your sys_clk gated.

Have a counter that will count up with the sys_clk, When the desired time/count value is reached, have a signal going HIGH/LOW that will disable the supply of the sys_clk.

Many of the xilinx evaluation encrypted IP cores have a timeout duration but I don't know how they are doing it. Maybe Xilinx support will throw more light on this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor dipslg
Visitor

@dpaul24 

hi paul, Thanks for replying..counter soultion is secondary for me.. I thought the same, manipulating the RTL. But I am more interested Is there any way in the tool itself..So that it will create a timebound netlist.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

I am unaware of any features in Vivado that will automatically add a "timebomb" to a netlist.  The counter method mentioned before is what I have seen in the past.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

@tedbooth, @dipslg 

Have you used the evaluation version of the Xilinx TEMAC core? This evaluation core version (encrypted) has a time-bomb that shuts the core off after ~2hrs of operation.

I don't think anyone from Xilinx will disclose how they are doing it here in this forum.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@dpaul24,

I haven't used the eval version of theTEMAC IP.  I have used eval versions of some of the other cores.  I don't have specific information about the implementation of the Timebomb, but I believe that it is a counter tied to the clock enable or the reset.  When a core is compiled with a valid license, the Timebomb is excluded from the netlist.

www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos
Visitor dipslg
Visitor

@tedbooth , @dpaul24 

Thankyou for your time to shed some light in this query. I havn't used the eval version, but I am pretty much sure the source code won't be visible. So to summarize the points.

1. There is no settings in the tool to create a timebomb netlist.

2. If need to create, one needs to implement a counter that will manipulate the clock of the system,

One possiblity which I thought of is to make a counter and the output of which is conditioned with the state of the FSM resulting to reset the system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

@dipslg ,

I would agree with both of your point with one small suggestion.  When implementing the counter in your design, do not directly control the actual clock with the counter.  You do not want to create a gated clock which will require moving the clock off of the dedicated clock traces and onto the general fabric traces.  It can be made to work but could open up all kinds of timing analysis problems.  It's equally valid to use the reset and much safer.

www.designlinxhs.com
Visitor dipslg
Visitor

@tedbooth  

Thanks buddy.  will try with reset signals..

0 Kudos