cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

10G Ethernet MAC license verification

I purchased the 10G Ethernet MAC core and the License Manager looks like it has in fact picked up the purchased cert-based license.  It shows License Name:ten_gig_eth_mac', IP:Bought, Expiration Date:Permanent, Version Limit:2016.10, License Type:Nodelocked, Host IDs Match:Yes   Basically it looks good, ie., licensed.  

However I'm finding things don't work in the morning until I reconfigure which would be a symptom of using an eval core.  So I'm looking through Vivado IDE and logs trying to find something that confirms the purchased core was in fact used and built with.  I see sythesis and implemenatation licenses being checked in/out but nothing regarding IP license status reported (eval nor purchased).  

Shouldn't this be reported somewhere?  How can I confirm that the non-eval version of this IP is being used?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 10G Ethernet MAC license verification

Hi @gulotta,

Run this command in ISE command prompt:

xlicmgr status –c ten_gig_eth_mac -v

Thanks,
Nupur

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nupur,

I ran this command and it looks to basically report what Vivado License Manager is, that the license if found.  It shows:

DEBUG[license] - Attempting to checkout <Bought> license...

DEBUG[license] - Checkout of feature <ten_gig_eth_mac> succeeded.

That's great but my question is, shouldn't the license get reported in the build reports somewhere, and if so where?  If I didn't have a license it would implement with the eval version and shouldn't that be reported in the build logs?   Basically, I can see the License Manager is finding it (two ways now) but how do I know for sure the tools are picking it up and not using the eval version. The MAC seems to stop working and requires a reconfig to get going again which is a symptom of an eval core.

Please see if you can get an answer.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @gulotta

You end up with the below error if you do not have proper license:

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: This design contains one or more cores for which bitstream generation is not supported: <ip_names>

You will observe below warning if you have hardware evaluation IP license:

This design contains one or more IP cores that are separately licensed features. If the deisgn has been configured to make use of evaluation features, please note that these features will cease to function after a certain period of time. Please consult the core datasheet to determine whether the core which you have configured will be affected. Evaluation features should NOT be used in production systems.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see these in the logs I'm looking at but yet the MAC behaves as an eval.  Each morning I see the PCS/PMA continuing to receive and pass data to the MAC yet the MAC no longer processes it until after a reconfig.  

To be clearer, can you specify exactly which log file(s) to look in for the error/warning you mention?  

The tools used to indicate when they'd grab IP licenses but you're telling me they no longer do, is that correct? 

Are there other method(s) to determine if the core is in an eval mode via tools, logs, or hardware (eg., using chipscope)?  Or in general, is there anyway to determine what state the MAC is in when it stops working?  

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @gulotta,

Can you try regenerating the core and then generate the bitstream?
Again, to test the license level of LogiCORE IP cores in a netlist, run 'xlicmgr report <ngc or ngd file name>'.
Refer to this AR for further details: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/30517.html
Thanks,
Nupur
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

When you generate the core in ooc mode, you can check simulaiton netlist file generated to see the licence type

As shown below it is Hardware_evaluation and for full license it will be shown as bought

(* core_generation_info = "ten_gig_eth_mac_0,ten_gig_eth_mac_v14_0,{x_ipProduct=Vivado 2014.4,x_ipVendor=xilinx.com,x_ipLibrary=ip,x_ipName=ten_gig_eth_mac,x_ipVersion=14.0,x_ipCoreRevision=1,x_ipLanguage=VHDL,x_ipSimLanguage=MIXED,x_ipLicense=ten_gig_eth_mac@2014.10(hardware_evaluation),c_family=kintex7,c_component_name=ten_gig_eth_mac_0,c_has_stats=true,c_has_xgmii=false,c_has_management=true,c_has_wan_support=false,c_1588=0,c_pfc=false,c_tx_tuser_width=1,c_tx_stats_width=25,c_rx_stats_width=29,c_rx_vec_width=79,c_tx_vec_width=79,c_xgmii_data_width=63,c_xgmii_cntl_width=7,c_32bit=false,c_user_data_width=63,c_user_cntl_width=7}" *) (* x_core_info = "ten_gig_eth_mac_v14_0,Vivado 2014.4" *)

(* NotValidForBitStream *)

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Went to run 'xlicmgr report <ngc or ngd file name>' per 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @gulotta,

Is your issue resolved?
Thanks,
Nupur
0 Kudos
Highlighted

For Design linking license type, you cannot generate bit stream. Based on your observations, it seems the license type should have been "Hardware_evaluation".

If you have multiple copies of the license, you may want to remove the unused ones and just keep your bought license.

Also, you can open the .lic file in a text editor and verify the license type also.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos