Contributor
Contributor

2019.2.1 license not found

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am running 2 versions of Vivado on my windows 10 machine (Machine A):-

1. 2019.1 

2. 2019.2.1 

The 2019.1 version runs smoothly without any issue. However, for 2019.2.1, it shows the error-

[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for feature 'Synthesis' and/or device 'xczu9eg'. Please run the Vivado License Manager for assistance in determining
which features and devices are licensed for your system.
Resolution: Check the status of your licenses in the Vivado License Manager. For debug help search Xilinx Support for "Licensing FAQ". If you are using a license server, verify that the license server is up and running a version of the xilinx daemon that is compatible with the version of Xilinx software that you are using. Please note that Vivado 2017.3 and later requires upgrading your license server tools to the Flex 11.14.1 tools. Please confirm with your license admin that the correct version of the license server tools are installed.

Interestingly, for 2019.2.1 installed on the different machine (machine B) works smoothly. Both of these machines are connected to the same license server. as Instructed in the error, we verified the Flex tool version and it is 'flexlm_v11.14.1.0'(64 bit). We checked if this is causing due to the number of seats are crossing, but that's not the case too!

The same Configurable ZYNQ ultrascale+ MPSoC example design we tried to run on machine A and machine B. And 2 different versions are needed based on 2 different project requirements.

2019.1 (machine A-windows 10) - works fine

2019.2.1 (machine A-windows 10)- Not valid license 

2019.2.1 (machine B-windows 10)- Works fine 

how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @bkushal ,

Please note that the reason why you seeing this issue is indeed, due to the expired version limit of your Vivado license file.

The version limit in your case is 2019.09 (September 2019) so, will only be valid with any released that came out before the end of September 2019.

If you check this AR#33770, 2019.1 requires a license with the minimum version limit of 2019.05 (May 2019) or higher. In your case, your FL license is fine for 2019.1 version of Vivado.

However, 2019.2 was released in November 2019, so the minimum version limit it requires is 2019.11 or higher. In your case, your FL license isn't valid for 2019.2 or newer versions of Vivado. Hence you see this error in Vivado.

The explanation why your Machine A sees this licensing error with 2019.2.1 where as your Machine B doesn't is because your Machine B has an additional Node-Locked SDSoC_Tools license that has the version limit of 2020.07 and this license has the required xczu9eg licensing feature in it.

image.png

As you can see from the error message, Vivado would search for either a 'Synthesis' licensing feature or (if not found, as it is not valid for 2019.2 in your case), it will also do a search for the 'xczu9eg'. In this case, as seen in the above screenshot (from your Xinfo report of your Machine B), this 'xczu9eg' licensing feature exists and is used by Vivado 2019.2.1 on your machine B.

Based on your machine A Xinfo, your don't have this additional Node-Locked SDSoC_Tools license with 'xczu9eg' licensing feature in it, hence this explains why your machine A can't find a valid license and hence this issue is seen.

[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for feature 'Synthesis' and/or device 'xczu9eg'. 

If you need any further clarification, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is probably a better question for the licensing/install board - maybe a mod can move it...

Common issues include:

-using a different version across machines and the newer version isn't supported by your license, e.g. http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html (Licensing - What license version limit is required for my Xilinx software or IP core?)

-using a different device target on the tests, e.g. ZU9 requires an Edition license while the smaller ZU4 is a WebPACK part and doesn't require a license

Neither of those appear to be the case here. Where you running the tests at the same time? For example, if you only had 1 floating license (or had more and others were using them) and were running synthesis or implementation on machine B and then started a run on machine A during this, your existing license is already checked out and machine A's license check wouldn't succeed. You'd need to wait until the run on machine B was finished before the license was returned.

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @barriet 

Thanks for your reply.

The version limit that is shown in my license manager is 2019.09, and it's a full license.

is it because of the version limit?

Where you running the tests at the same time? 

- We tried both ways. Running at the same time(Machine A, Machine B), as well as running the only machine A at a time. but still, the synthesis fails.

0 Kudos

Hello @bkushal ,

To see why this is occuring on a Machine A with 2019.2.1, can you please set FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS environment variable to value 3 (i.e. FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3) and then close and re-open 2019.2.1 and try testing this again. There should be some additional licensing dialog pop up (well, there will probably be a good few of these, however) at the dialog pop up message that would occur at the time when you run Synthesis, please share this with us for examination, as this should give us some more info why it is struggling to detect your floating licenses.

However, indeed, to me, this is a situation when I would assume that no available seats are left of the FL license, and that would then explain this behaviour.

To check this, please ask your floating license admin to share the debug.log file of the floating license server. This records all of the Floating license activities, so should give us more info why the license was refused to be Checked Out of the server.
Your floating license sever admin would know where this debug.log file would be located.

If you have any question on the above, please let us know.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @anatoli 

I tried setting the FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3, and  then close and re-open 2019.2.1 and testing again, here are the error pop-ups that were shown below

1.jpg

3.png

Regarding the no seats available on the ting license, we double-checked the same and there are enough seats available.

PS- These are for machine A.

0 Kudos

Hello @bkushal ,

Thanks for the info.

Please also share the FL license server debug.log file, for examination. Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @anatoli ,

should I share the entire log file here? or just the part related to Machine A would be okay? (as the log file is pretty lengthy)

0 Kudos

Hello @bkushal ,

Apologies, i've missed your reply somehow.

Please send this to me via this email (the entire log file) to the email address i've shared with you via PM.

I will review this and get back to you then.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hello @bkushal ,

Please note that the reason why you seeing this issue is indeed, due to the expired version limit of your Vivado license file.

The version limit in your case is 2019.09 (September 2019) so, will only be valid with any released that came out before the end of September 2019.

If you check this AR#33770, 2019.1 requires a license with the minimum version limit of 2019.05 (May 2019) or higher. In your case, your FL license is fine for 2019.1 version of Vivado.

However, 2019.2 was released in November 2019, so the minimum version limit it requires is 2019.11 or higher. In your case, your FL license isn't valid for 2019.2 or newer versions of Vivado. Hence you see this error in Vivado.

The explanation why your Machine A sees this licensing error with 2019.2.1 where as your Machine B doesn't is because your Machine B has an additional Node-Locked SDSoC_Tools license that has the version limit of 2020.07 and this license has the required xczu9eg licensing feature in it.

image.png

As you can see from the error message, Vivado would search for either a 'Synthesis' licensing feature or (if not found, as it is not valid for 2019.2 in your case), it will also do a search for the 'xczu9eg'. In this case, as seen in the above screenshot (from your Xinfo report of your Machine B), this 'xczu9eg' licensing feature exists and is used by Vivado 2019.2.1 on your machine B.

Based on your machine A Xinfo, your don't have this additional Node-Locked SDSoC_Tools license with 'xczu9eg' licensing feature in it, hence this explains why your machine A can't find a valid license and hence this issue is seen.

[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for feature 'Synthesis' and/or device 'xczu9eg'. 

If you need any further clarification, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

Contributor
Contributor

Hi @anatoli ,

Thanks for the reply. I have one question though, 

Can I use that Node-Locked SDSoC_Tools license(with 2020.07 version limit) on machine B to some other desktop say machine A? 

Case 1: Is it the case that this node-locked license will  permanently work on 'Machine B'

or

Case 2: it can work on any machine (but at only one machine at a time)

if its the case 2, how can I change the settings?

regards

0 Kudos

Hi again @bkushal ,

Since this is a Node-Locked license, in this case, it is locked to your machine B, so will only work on this machine B only.

You can't easily use the same license on both machines, as this is a Node_locked license and would required you to regenerate this license for your other machine. However, you only have up to 5 re-host attempts. 

If you have this license with both Floating/Node-locked generation options, why can't you just re-generate this license as a floating license and that way you can just add this to your current floating license on the server and that way you can use this license on other machines who'd have access to this server?

However, if this license only comes as a node-locked license, then in this case, you can order a flexera dongle that you can use to generate your Node-Locked license file, targeting the dongle's ID. If further info needed on the dongle, please let me know.

However, please log into www.xilinx.com/getlicenses and see if you only have 'Node' option or both, 'Node/Floating'

e.g.

image.png

If you have received this license with both options, then you can easily re-generate this SDSoC_Tools lic as a floating license and that way you'd be able to use this license on other machines who are pointing to the floating license server.

If not, then you may want to consider using a dongle that can be purchased directly from Flexera.

Or, alternatively, you can continue working with 2019.1 or earlier versions, and your current Vivado System Edition would work fine with these releases, forever, as this is a permanent license file.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @anatoli,

Thanks for your support! 

0 Kudos