Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calmor15014
Visitor
Visitor

2020.2 install fails filling 500GB disk

Jump to solution

I am trying to install VIvado via Xilinx Unified 2020.2 Installer on Ubuntu 20.04.  The installation is being done to a SanDisk 500GB USB SSD device as I do not have 100GB free on the system disk.

Upon installation, I choose VItis install, remove MATLAB support, and remove support for devices except SoC as I bought a Zybo Z7 to learn FPGA and SoC development.  I also chose to preserve disk space in the installer settings.

The installer notes I will need about 100GB free to install but afterward the installation should be about 50GB.

The install gets to about 80% and fails due to a completely full disk.  I confirmed all 500GB are being consumed by the installer.  After I click cancel, the installer then deletes most of the files, leaving about 20-30GB of information behind.

How do I move forward with installing the software?  What is it possibly using 500GB of storage space on?  There there something I should check in the install log?  Permissions are not an issue as it's able to write/remove that disk.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xilinxacct
Professor
Professor

@calmor15014 

I can't say definitively for the discrepancy in the size, but their are a few reasons that SSDs (and other types of storage) can report higher usage...

1) The SSD is coming to the end of life, and is starting to run out of re-writeable space.

2) When formatted the size of an allocation block was large (which is good for large files, but wasteful for a lot of small files).

3) Both the original, temporary, and expanded files are all present at the same time (which uses more than the final amount).

4) There is some kind of 'disk optimization' that happens during the install. (Maybe that is doing some odd with the SSD.)

5) During the install size estimate, does it report that the SSD has as much space as you think it has?

Hope that Helps
If so, Please mark as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
xilinxacct
Professor
Professor

@calmor15014 

If you are looking to reduce the size of the install,  choose the specific tool you need, when prompted by the installer. (e.g. not Vitis, but just Vivado or HLS, ...),

Hope that Helps

calmor15014
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks, and I can try that (trying to just do Vivado WebPack now), but why is 500GB not enough to install an already very large install package?  The installer says it will consume around 100GB but it completely fills the 500GB drive.  It's empty otherwise.  This is the only thing on it.

0 Kudos
xilinxacct
Professor
Professor

@calmor15014 

I can't say definitively for the discrepancy in the size, but their are a few reasons that SSDs (and other types of storage) can report higher usage...

1) The SSD is coming to the end of life, and is starting to run out of re-writeable space.

2) When formatted the size of an allocation block was large (which is good for large files, but wasteful for a lot of small files).

3) Both the original, temporary, and expanded files are all present at the same time (which uses more than the final amount).

4) There is some kind of 'disk optimization' that happens during the install. (Maybe that is doing some odd with the SSD.)

5) During the install size estimate, does it report that the SSD has as much space as you think it has?

Hope that Helps

View solution in original post

calmor15014
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your reply.

The drive is brand new (bought for this purpose) so that should be okay. It is formatted exFAT so perhaps the block size is too large. 

The final installed size of just Vivado WebPack option is nearly 300GB.

I can try to reformat the drive to see if that helps. Is there a recommended filesystem?

0 Kudos
calmor15014
Visitor
Visitor

Block size may have been the issue.  I reformatted the drive with a smaller block size and the tools fit on the drive.