UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day trail expiration blocks my new floating license and prevents me from running synthesis

Hello there,

I recently received a floating license from Xilinx for Vivado and set up license server and it is working for my colleague (with the same device/part). However, for some reasons synthesis on Vivado still can't run. When I opened Vivado License Manager, both the nodelocked 30 day trial license (expiration date in read) and the new license are there. I think the reason is because Vivado still thinks I am using the expired license not the new one, hence not able to run synthesis.

Could you please let me know how I can delete/disable the 3-day trial license?

Best regards,

Taihai

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: 30 day trail expiration blocks my new floating license and prevents me from running synthesis

Hello @taihaichen_accelercomm,

Are you using Vivado 2017.3 release?

If so, and s this is in relation to your floating license, then from this Answer Record: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69377.html, you can read that Vivado 2017.3 now uses FlexLM 11.14.1.0, which older floating server machines cannot provide licenses to unless the license utilities version matches or is newer.

Therefore, all of the floating license users must upgrade their license utilities in order for licenses to be picked up in Vivado 2017.3.

As such, please obtain these utilities from the downloads page (https://www.xilinx.com/support/download.html) and provide the .zip file to your floating license admin (in case this is not yourself). Then ask the admin to unzip this anywhere on the server. Then he needs to start the floating license server using the lmgrd from this location where he has just unzip these. It will then in turn will call the xilinxd vendor daemon (also found from the same location as lmgrd v11.14).  And that is it then, Vivado 2017.3 should then be able to successfully detect and check out the necessary Synthesis feature and your issue will be resolved then.

This is documented here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69377.html

If you have any questions for me, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Re: 30 day trial expiration blocks my new floating license and prevents me from running synthesis

Hello Anatoli,

Thanks for answering my question so promptly.

I am pretty sure that we are using the Floating Server Tools Linux (Flex v11.14.1.0) to set up the license server, as we just did it this morning. As I mentioned in the original post, the vivado (2017.3) on my colleague's machine successfully picked up the vivado_design_edition license and the synthesis license, and it was working for him. So that's why it prompts to me think that it may be due to the 30 trial license that stops me from running synthesis.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Taihai

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: 30 day trial expiration blocks my new floating license and prevents me from running synthesis

Hello @taihaichen_accelercomm,

Please note that for some reason Vivado can't check out the license at your end, there there could be a few possibilities for this to happen. This type of a behavior I would expect to see if there an option file set on the license file and a user (you in this case) is either on DENIED list or is not included into the INCLUDE users list, who's allowed to chechout any licenses from the server.

Can you please share a copy of your XINFO report (generated on the machine where you are seeing this licensing error), for examination?
​Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

Can you please open a command prompt and CD to the location such as e.g.: ../xilinx/Vivado_2017.3/Vivado/2017.3/bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o

Then, from here, please run this command: lmutil lmstat –a –c <port_number>@<server_name> (e.g.lmutil lmstat –a –c 2100@ANATOLI_PC

Then please see if lmgrd is UP and xilinxd is UP too and then, see what version of flexlm utilities the server is/was started with? Do you see v11.14 for both lmgrd and xilinxd?

Then, also please run this command: lmutil lmdiag Synthesis, and send us the output.

Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hello Anatoli,

Thanks for your reply.

I have done the 'lmutil lmstat –a –c <port_number>@<server_name> (e.g.lmutil lmstat ––c 2100@ANATOLI_PC' as you suggested, and it seems lmgrd is not running for some reasons (see attached). But I am still pretty sure our licence server is running lmgrd (as I just ran 'ps' in server's terminal it clearly says lmgrd is running.) and my colleague is able to pick that up.

I have sent a separate message to you with xinfo.txt and output of lmutil lmdiag synthesis.

Any thoughts on simply eliminating the XilinxTrial license?

Best regards,

Taihai

Capture112.PNG
0 Kudos
Newbie taihaichen

Hello @anatoli,

I wondered have you had any thoughts about my last reply?

Best regards,
Taihai
0 Kudos

Hell @taihaichen@taihaichen_accelercomm,

Please note that i've sent you a private message on this. Please check and send me the required files via the email i've shared with you in the private message. Thanks.

Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hello @anatoli,

Thanks for letting me know. I have just sent the files to you.

Best regards,
Taihai
0 Kudos

Hello @taihaichen_accelercomm@taihaichen,

Based on what you’ve shown to me, your machine can’t detect any Vivado related licenses from any servers. Perhaps you are pointing to the server using a wrong port_number@server_name?

All the licenses found on your machine are Node-Locked ones.

Can you please share your colleague’s Xinfo report (i.e. a colleague who’s able to detect the licenses from the server) with me for examination please? I will check and compare your report with his and see what port_number@server_name he is pointing to in his case.

Also, please note that you’ve ran the wrong command: lmutil diag synthesis. Can you please run lmutil diag Synthesis (instead of lmutil diag synthesis, so with the capital ‘S’ letter instead of ‘s’, as this is case sensitive) and then send me the output of what you get this time?

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos