cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Appropriate license for software developer (Linux drivers for FPGA firmware)?

Jump to solution

What is the appropriate license for my use - as a software guy writing Linux drivers for FPGA firmware?

To be clear, I am not a hardware guy. I am not the FPGA firmware developer - and will not be developing FPGA firmware to go into products. I write the Linux driver code that interacts with the FPGAs that go into company products. However, that does require close reading of the Xilinx IP used, and understanding the options and parameters used in the designs.

Have reached the point where I think it might be useful to load up example designs in Vivado, just so I am more familiar with the interface (and placement of options/parameters) when working with the firmware guy.

The target devices are KCU105 (Kintex UltraScale on product) and VCU118 (Virtex UltraScale+ on Xilinx development board). (Also a large Virtex 7 on an older product.) So wanting to load small/test designs for larger parts.

As a side note, for a personal project have a small Spartan 6 board, and used ISE to make lights blink, but ... not for work and not remotely fluent.

As I am in a physically different location, sharing a floating license with the firmware developer is not practical (and for other reasons). Not going to ask the company to buy a full license for my minimal use.

Just got Vivado installed (on Ubuntu 20), and about to claim a WebPack license...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello @dreadedhill ,

If you are targeting parts XCKU040 (KCU105)  and XCVU9P (VCU118), for this you'd need a purchased Vivado Design/System edition licence file. Or, if you bought these kits, then you'd get a free Device Locked license with each one of these boards. You can use this for your design too.

However, if you didn't buy these kits and don't have any valid licenses in place, then you'd need to buy a new lic file.

Alternatively please use one of the WebPACK parts, and that way you can avoid needing to buy a full lic file.

Hope this helps.  

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

I think what you need is Vivado Design Edition, but running with the free WebPack license. That gives you access to all of the fancy chips (Kintex/Virtex), but it won't let you generate the bitstream. You can still set up the block diagram, have a look at the IP cores and what addresses/pins/etc are being assigned. I'm 99% sure that the software-side tools (Petalinux, SDK, etc) are all completely unrestricted.

Highlighted

Hello @dreadedhill ,

Is there any further assistance required in relation to this matter? If so, please let us know and we will be glad to help you further then.

However if your issue is resolved now, please mark a response as 'Accepted Solution' (more info on this can be found here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions), so that the topic can be completed then.

We appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The question offered is still unanswered. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @dreadedhill ,

If you are targeting parts XCKU040 (KCU105)  and XCVU9P (VCU118), for this you'd need a purchased Vivado Design/System edition licence file. Or, if you bought these kits, then you'd get a free Device Locked license with each one of these boards. You can use this for your design too.

However, if you didn't buy these kits and don't have any valid licenses in place, then you'd need to buy a new lic file.

Alternatively please use one of the WebPACK parts, and that way you can avoid needing to buy a full lic file.

Hope this helps.  

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks. We did in fact buy both a KCU105 and VCU118. (Might buy another VCU118 a bit later.)

Our FPGA developer has a previously-purchased Vivado license. Sounds as though we got extra licences with the developer boards, and I might legitimately use one of those.

Thanks.