UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor s.vikas_321
Visitor

Bitstream Generation not happening for axi_USB2_Device

Jump to solution

Hi,

​I have a complete Project which consists of IPCores and Modules inferred.

Targeted FPGA Board : VC707 EV Kit

• On 14.2,we were able to generate BitFile and could do On-Board Validations.

We currently want to reterget the same Project to one of the laterTool Version. (VIVADO 17.4)

Two methods have been tried on 17.4.

1)       Direct retargeting. – Auto Upgrade the IP Cores and try Synthesis, Implement and Bit File Generation.

2)       Fresh start on Vivado17.4 - Taking Modules one by one and integration by checking their Configurations.

Both methods reached a similar Point where the number of Warnings was quite high while compared to MUXDAC_14.2 Version. Resetting and regenerating the Output Product does help in reducing the number of Warnings. Bit File Generation Failed showing below Error.

• [Common 17-69] Command failed: This design contains one or more cells for which bitstream generation is not permitted: i_controller/design_1_i/axi_usb2_device_0/U0 (data_path_sim_axi_usb2_device_0_2__axi_usb2_device) If a new IP Core license was added, in order for the new license to be picked up, the current netlist needs to be updated by resetting and re-generating the IP output products before bitstream generation.
Similar Issue I have seen while on 14.2 Version also. But was not observed when deleted the complete project and created from Scratch.
​So we were thinking this can be some License Conflict Issues.But on 17.4 all the trials failed with this Error.

While checking IP License Status : 'axi_usb2_device_0' alone shows Design Linking License and all others as included.
IP Status.jpgLicense manager.jpg

​Please look into this and clarify me if this is any License Conflict Issue or we need to upgrade the License.What to do next ?

Thanks and Regards,
​Vikas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bitstream Generation not happening for axi_USB2_Device

Jump to solution

Hello @s.vikas_321,

Please see my answers inline below:

> If I took the License and create a Bitfile now within 120 days, will I be able to use the same BitFile after 120 days ?

[Anatoli]: If you create your bitfile now, and won’t modify your design or upgrade this particular IP Core from the current version to the newer version, then you won’t need a new IP Core license after 120 days. Once the bitfile is generated, you can then use it on your board without needing any licenses.

> Does the generated bitstream contains any circuitry that disables the design after some hours of operation at the typical clock rate for the core ? Do I need to reprogram after that ? 

[Anatoli]: Exactly. That is the actual limitation of the full Hardware Evaluation IP Core licenses. This Answer Record explains this: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42380.html.

As you can read, to start the device working again, you must reload the bitstream (reset or reprogram the device).

> Another Doubt is how was Vivado 14.2 able to generate the BitFile eventhough Design Linking License was only shown on License Manager for USB 2.0. Is this anything Tool versions also related ?

[Anatoli]: Unless there was an issue back then with 2014.2 and this particular IP Core, however I’ve checked and even with Vivado 2014.x, you’d still need to have a valid license when generation your bitstream. Not sure how you’ve managed to generate your bitfile with Vivado 2014.2 without a valid license for this core, however Design_linking won’t be enough here.

image.png

Hope the above is clear.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @s.vikas_321,

Please note that this particular IP Core (AXI USB2 Device) requires a purchased IP Core license. In your case, from what you've shown, you only have a Design_Linking license, which doesn't allow the bitstream generation. And that is the reason for this error.

Therefore, you can either get and use a full Hardware Evaluation license (if this is not for a production but for testing purposes only) (can be obtained from here: 

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/axi_usb2_device.html#overview -> Evaluate IP) or purchase a full IP Core license for this IP Core (same link as above, use Order option).

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Visitor s.vikas_321
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello Anatoli Curran,

Thank you very much for the Reply.

Just for my clarification :

On the Product Licensing Page, am seeing Subscription End Date for USB 2.0 Evaluation License as 120 days.What does this means ?

For example :

> If I took the License and create a Bitfile now within 120 days, will I be able to use the same BitFile after 120 days ?

> Does the generated bitstream contains any circuitry that disables the design after some hours of operation at the typical clock rate for the core ? Do I need to reprogram after that ? 

> Another Doubt is how was Vivado 14.2 able to generate the BitFile eventhough Design Linking License was only shown on License Manager for USB 2.0. Is this anything Tool versions also related ?

It will be really great if you can clarify me on these as accordingly we can proceed.

Thanks and regards,
Vikas

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @s.vikas_321,

Please see my answers inline below:

> If I took the License and create a Bitfile now within 120 days, will I be able to use the same BitFile after 120 days ?

[Anatoli]: If you create your bitfile now, and won’t modify your design or upgrade this particular IP Core from the current version to the newer version, then you won’t need a new IP Core license after 120 days. Once the bitfile is generated, you can then use it on your board without needing any licenses.

> Does the generated bitstream contains any circuitry that disables the design after some hours of operation at the typical clock rate for the core ? Do I need to reprogram after that ? 

[Anatoli]: Exactly. That is the actual limitation of the full Hardware Evaluation IP Core licenses. This Answer Record explains this: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42380.html.

As you can read, to start the device working again, you must reload the bitstream (reset or reprogram the device).

> Another Doubt is how was Vivado 14.2 able to generate the BitFile eventhough Design Linking License was only shown on License Manager for USB 2.0. Is this anything Tool versions also related ?

[Anatoli]: Unless there was an issue back then with 2014.2 and this particular IP Core, however I’ve checked and even with Vivado 2014.x, you’d still need to have a valid license when generation your bitstream. Not sure how you’ve managed to generate your bitfile with Vivado 2014.2 without a valid license for this core, however Design_linking won’t be enough here.

image.png

Hope the above is clear.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Visitor s.vikas_321
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi Anatoli Curran,

Thank you very much for the quick Clarification. It will help us going further.
For now this looks clear. Will come back for any further needs.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikas
0 Kudos
Visitor s.vikas_321
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello Anatoli,

I have few more questions here.

While checking further we have a IP License for axi_USB2_device which was generated years back.
> Its Version Limit from the License manager is 2014.06.
> On Vivado 14.2 we are able to generate the BitFile. On Vivado 17.4, its not happening telling for axi_usb2_device BitFile Generation is not permitted.

My doubts are :
1) Is the Version Limit causing Issue ?
2) If yes, How can we upgrade the current License so that we can generate BitFile on 17.4 also ?

Attaching below Screenshots of License Manager for both 14.2 and 17.4. Please see them and help us on this.

Vivado 14.2 :

Vivado_14_2_USB_License.jpg

Vivado 17.4 :

Vivado_17_4_USB_License.jpg

Thank you very much for the Help.

Regards,
Vikas

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @s.vikas_321,

Please note that the license that you've shown is a free Design_Linking license that won't let you to generate bitfiule with this type of a license. This Design_linking license is pre-build and comes with the Vivado installation. See AR 42379 for more details: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42379.html

Therefore, you can either obtain a free Evaluation IP Core license (See AR42380 for the limitations of this license: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42380.html) or purchase a full one from the below link:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/axi_usb2_device.html

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos