Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sezermemis
Visitor
Visitor

Cannot Select Digilent Boards

Jump to solution

Hello everyone. I am new at FPGA design. I installed Vivado but i cannot select board which i want. I guess it is license issue. But i don't know how i should install Vivado correct way. I am using WebPack Edition. I tried "install/update boards" button, adding boards manually but i cannot add. During the installation, 7 series boards are passive. I can't select. My professor says he use WebPack Edition too. But he didn't encounter same problem. Vitis, HL Design, HL System doesn't matter, which one i choose they are passive as in the following picture. What should i do? 

instaqqll.png

boardselect.png

 Thank you already!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
miker
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@sezermemis 

Just a thought... what device family are you targeting?  Vivado 2020.3 is a release ONLY for Versal device family targets.

Have you tried uninstalling Vivado 2020.3, installing Vivado 2020.2, and using the default method for XHub Store downloads (i.e. don't copy any board files into the Vivado installation directory)?

Please Reply, Kudos, and Accept as Solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I don't initially think this is a licensing issue... You don't say what board you are using or the corresponding part/device but I suspect most of them are smaller WebPACK parts that won't require a license to target... And the license doesn't control the device install options - the installer and the licensing are actually fairly decoupled.

I don't use the Digilent boards but I don't see them in my 2020.2 install either... If you check their documentation, you'll see they have you download the board files from their repo and then install it into the tools, e.g.
https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/installing-vivado/start

That's probably the step you are missing.

0 Kudos
sezermemis
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for answer but I made the instructions on the web page you mentioned. It didn't work.

0 Kudos
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@sezermemis ,

I installed Vivado but i cannot select board which i want. I guess it is license issue.

First of all it is not a licensing issue.

You need to install the board files for Digilent. To do so, follow this tutorial-

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files?redirect=1

Or this one and go the end of the webpage - https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/installing-vivado/start

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos
miker
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@sezermemis 

You download boards separately from the Vivado installation.  Once you have your Vivado installed, select Tools > XHub Stores...

forums_xhub_1.png

An XHub Stores window will appear and you can then select the Boards tab > expand the Digilent Inc listing, select the desired board, select the download icon.  You should now have the boards available to you.

forums_xhub_2.png

sezermemis
Visitor
Visitor

@miker @dpaul24  Guys as i said twice before, i did your advices when i encounter this issue. Nothing happens. There is something different.

asdas.png

czczc.png

  

0 Kudos
miker
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@sezermemis 

Sorry, I'm not sure what your issue may be.  I don't believe you followed my instructions as it would not install in the Vivado installation directory as you showed.  It would install in your Windows AppData directory in a directory structure similar to the following.  For example, the Digilent Arty A7-35 downloaded in Vivado 2020.2.

C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/xhub/board_store/xilinx_board_store/XilinxBoardStore/Vivado/2020.2/boards/Digilent/arty-a7-35/E.0/1.0/

forums_xhub_3.png

You can check your Tools > Settings... and verify the location of your XHub Store > Board Repository location.  Considering you just installed the tools, I would expect the default directory structure as I showed.  You could try pointing the Board Repository location to your C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.3/data/boards/boards_files but I would suggest not ever downloading files into the installation directory and just use the default repository location for managing boards.

forums_xhub_4.png

0 Kudos
sezermemis
Visitor
Visitor

I did. You can see in the screenshot.

adsfk.png

 In my first message, during the installation i can't select 7 series, SoCs, UltraScale etc. Because of this maybe it is license problem.

0 Kudos
sezermemis
Visitor
Visitor

Looks like this

ş,.png

0 Kudos
miker
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@sezermemis 

Just a thought... what device family are you targeting?  Vivado 2020.3 is a release ONLY for Versal device family targets.

Have you tried uninstalling Vivado 2020.3, installing Vivado 2020.2, and using the default method for XHub Store downloads (i.e. don't copy any board files into the Vivado installation directory)?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sezermemis
Visitor
Visitor

I tried to select cmod A7-15t board. I will uninstall 2020.3 and install 2020.2. Is it proper for my target board right? 

0 Kudos
miker
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@sezermemis 

Yes, Vivado 2020.2 is the current release for all device families (including the Artix-7 series you are targeting) other than Versal.

0 Kudos