UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Directory path is too long

Jump to solution

I can't install VIvado (18.1, neither 18.2) on Ubuntu.

I have mounted the hdd on various folders(even to ./v) and it always says that rdi_289(...) can't be extracted because the path is too long (and it isnt, moreover other packages have the same path length but don't crash the installation).

The hdd isn't full and I tried to re-download it, but nothing changed.

I tried to extract the .xz file with the xz command but it didn't work, then I used 7zip that asks me for password.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor sairahul321
Visitor

Re: Directory path is too long

Jump to solution

I faced similar issue on my Ubuntu 16.04 while installing Vivado and it looks like adding sudo infront the xsetup helped the issue. Similar to others mentioned before the issue is associated to the permissions. I checked my local installation directory and the group permissions are correct. 

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @eagleone22,

Check your directory or path characters are properly written. 

chara.JPG

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @hemangd

No, the path is /v/ . I tried /media/v, and /home/v/. I  looked at the log file to check the path.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @eagleone22,

Okay, can you provide the full snapshot of those errors?

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @hemangd

here you are.

Schermata del 2018-06-20 15:31:51.png
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @eagleone22,

Have a look into this AR https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64982.html

And also make sure the destination directory is not too long, the disk is not full, and you have not exceeded disk quota. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

@hemangd

already saw that, didn't work, and disk, as already said, is not full.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @eagleone22,

If you have checked all the suggestions mentioned in that AR and still the issue persists, than it appears that the file did not actually get downloaded properlyDoes the failure occur on the same file every time? If so, I would suggest deleting that file from the payload area and starting again. If it is a different file each time, you should try the single file download.

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @hemangd

The error-related file is always the same, tried to delete it and let the installer re-download it. Same result.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@eagleone22,

Check if you are using supported Ubuntu version with Vivado. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54242.html

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

@syedz

Seems I have the most recent not-supported Ubuntu Version.

I will upgrade it and let you know if works.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi, @hemangd@syedz

same problem with Ubuntu 16.04, even with 2017.4  Vivado 16 GB download.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Visitor eagleone22
Visitor

Jump to solution

@hemangd@syedz

I think I got it with some trial-and-error.

I was installing it in a EXFAT partition, that isn't by default supported by Ubuntu but I installed a library that suppports it. I think that Vivado installer has however issues with EXFat, because when changing to an EXT4 partition, changing no files, I can install it without issues.

I didn't find any mention of EXFAT Issues so I think that the installer should have a file system check or report the issue when selecting an EXFAT partition.

Jump to solution

Hello @eagleone22,

Thanks for letting us know.

Is the issue now resolved at your end and you were able to install the required software without receiving the error that you saw before?

FYI - 

Some customers on a Linus OS  have identified the root cause by checking their ~/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_123456789.log file. From here you can detect that a file, (For example rdi_0094_2015.2_0626_1.xz) failed to be extracted into the Vivado_201X.X/.xinstall/xic directory (this can happen due to not having write permissions).

Deleting the ~/.Xilinx (i.e. /home/users/<user_name>/.Xilinx) directory and then trying it again has solved the issue for some users.

Therefore, have you tried deleting the ~/.Xilinx (i.e. /home/users/<user_name>/.Xilinx) directory and then try the installation again?

Do you still see the same failure even after /home/users/<user_name>/.Xilinx folder was deleted? Can you confirm on this please?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer cosgrma
Observer

Jump to solution

For what it is worth, I had this same problem but it was an issue with permissions for the .xinstall directory. When I added group write permission I had no problems. It feels like the message window that pops up should deal with the error messages better during extraction to see that it is a permissions issue instead of the set of potential options it reports in the message window, imho.

And just I am writing this I got another failure for DocNav and had to add write permissions to that as well.

I would get into why I have to install this as my user instead of root, but it should suffice to say that I am installing this on a server behind a corporate firewall.

Visitor mmdsaifudn
Visitor

Jump to solution

I am able to fix this issue by formatting partition from fat to ext4

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I encountered a similuar problem during installation of 2018.2 XSDK. I had to fix the owner and group of the /opt/Xilinx/SDK directory on Ubuntu to get rid of the error message.

0 Kudos
Visitor sairahul321
Visitor

Jump to solution

I faced similar issue on my Ubuntu 16.04 while installing Vivado and it looks like adding sudo infront the xsetup helped the issue. Similar to others mentioned before the issue is associated to the permissions. I checked my local installation directory and the group permissions are correct. 

View solution in original post