UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dvdgardner
Visitor

Do I qualify for support?

My account apparently does not have permissions to create an SR.  I've searched the forums and found a few messages on this subject but none provide a clear answer of what is required.

In my case, my company recently paid over $25,000 to renew Vivado floating licenses.  Those were purchased through the Xilinx web site.  Does Xilinx provide direct support for Vivado if it purchased this way?

I've twice tried submitting a question to Xilinx support reqarding how to get permission to file an SR.  Both times I received an automated email saying:  "Your question has been submitted to Xilinx Support for routing to the appropriate team. Sincerely, Xilinx Technical Support"  But I have not received any other response.

Can someone please clarify what is required to be entitled to direct support and the ability to create an SR?

-David

P.S.  This is in reference to an issue I brought up in a forum, for which a Xilinx moderator suggested I file an SR.  Ref https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Vivado-Support-for-SystemVerilog-quot-Access-to-interface/td-p/848690

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Do I qualify for support?

Hello @dvdgardner,

Unfortunately your company isn't currently entitled to directly opening SRs for any technical issues. For these, you'd need to either a open a new topic for your new issue on Forums or, if a new SR needs to be created for the problem, please contact your local Authorized Distributor, as they can assist you with all of your Technical/Sales related queries.

If they can’t resolve your problem, they’ll be able to open a new Service Request (SR) on your behalf.

If you believe there is a mistake and your company should be entitled to directly opening SRs, please talk to your Disti FAE and he can then in turn contact Xilinx Sales team, who'd be able to review and approve (or deny) this request. Once approved, the option to directly opening SRs will be added for your company then.

I hope the above is clear. If you have any questions on the above, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor dvdgardner
Visitor

To be clear, you're saying that even though we spent $25 thousand on Vivado licenses, we're not entitled to direct support for that software?

Can you elaborate on what the requirements are?

To your point "please contact your local Authorized Distributor", we purchased the software from Xilinx online.  Why would any local distributor want to support something they received no revenue from?

I've already posted my original issue on a forum, complete with source code and clear instructions on how to reproduce.  A Xilinx moderator reproduced the issue and suggested an SR be filed.  Why must I jump through any more hoops to get further help from Xilinx?

Baffled,

David

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

@dvdgardner

Remember xilinx have turnover in the billions, so 25k licences are really a drop in the ocean, and they're really after chip sales. When you spend 100ks on chips every year then you might get the direct SR access. (Don't worry, is the same over at Intel now). To make it even better, xilinx have been reducing their fae numbers, just to make this kind of thing harder.

If you compare it to companies that rely on licenses (like simulation tools - 15 vhdl bugs fixed in 6 months, with patches provided between releases!) Xilinx is glacial. Unless you're a multinational, where it is possible to get private patches out of Xilinx.
0 Kudos
Visitor dvdgardner
Visitor

@richardhead a company's large size doesn't mean they have to stop supporting smaller customers. Using your example of Intel, if I purchase a single license of their C++ compiler they will support me. Their policy is:

"Users with paid licenses can access Priority Support for confidential, secure access to Intel engineers."

That seems like a sane approach. Why is Xilinx not capable of doing the same?

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

@dvdgardner

I was refering to FPGA queries via the old Altera mysupport (web support portal). I have read anecdotes that Students and small companies are being locked out of raising tickets because they are too small.

0 Kudos

Hello @dvdgardner,

Due to the recent changed in Xilinx Policy, unfortunately, not everyone has access to directly open SRs with Xilinx Technical Support. That doesn't mean that Xilinx has stop supporting some customers, no. Yes, the options have been changed how you raise an issue, but you can still receive a support from Xilinx Technical Support either via your local FAE/Authorized Distributor, who can create a new SR on your behalf (even if you haven't purchased Xilinx products directly from them but directly from Xilinx) or posting your issue on the forums is the right approach here too, as we have many engineers involved in Xilinx Forums and Forums are continually monitored to make sure the users' queries and issues are addressed in a timely manor.

As an example, take your original post, where Kevin has reproduced your issue and has filed a Change Request in 2 days. That response time is in-line with what you'd normally get with an SR.

I hope the above is clear and thanks for understanding. 

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos