UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Driver installation fails for ISE 13.4 on Ubuntu 11.10 and Digilent Nexys 2 board

Visitor

Driver installation fails for ISE 13.4 on Ubuntu 11.10 and Digilent Nexys 2 board

I'm new to FPGAs and just installed ISE 13.4 to try something with the Nexys 2 board.

I've installed Adept runtime and utilites for Linux 32 only to get a segmentation fault when trying to start dadutil.

After some ISE installations, getting Ubuntu's kernel source and trying to make some links, the driver installation

still fails with the following lines in the log:

--Installing windrvr6---------------------------------------------
--Checking version.
--File /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/misc/windrvr6.ko does not exist.
--File LINUX.3.0.0-15-generic.i386/windrvr6.ko does not exist.
--Setting source version to 1301.
--File LINUX.3.0.0-15-generic.i386/windrvr6.ko is newer than the destination file.
USE_KBUILD = no
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for cpu architecture... i386
checking for WinDriver root directory... /opt/Xilinx/13.4/LabTools/common/bin/lin/install_script/install_drivers/linux_drivers/windriver32
checking for linux kernel source... found at /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/build
checking for lib directory... ln -sf $(ROOT_DIR)/lib/$(SHARED_OBJECT).so /usr/lib/$(SHARED_OBJECT).so
checking which directories to include... -I/lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/source/include
checking linux kernel version... not found
make -f makefile.wd clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/Xilinx/13.4/LabTools/common/bin/lin/install_script/install_drivers/linux_drivers/windriver32/windrvr'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/Xilinx/13.4/LabTools/common/bin/lin/install_script/install_drivers/linux_drivers/windriver32/windrvr'
make -f makefile.wd
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/Xilinx/13.4/LabTools/common/bin/lin/install_script/install_drivers/linux_drivers/windriver32/windrvr'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/Xilinx/13.4/LabTools/common/bin/lin/install_script/install_drivers/linux_drivers/windriver32/windrvr'
make -f makefile.wd
--make windrvr install rc= 2
--install_windrvr6 rc = 2
--Module windrvr6 is not running.
--Module xpc4drvr is not running.
--Note: By default, the file permission of /dev/windrvr6 is enabled for the root user only
  and must be changed to allow access to other users.

--real rc=2

--Driver installation failed.

My questions:

1. USE_KBUILD = no         Should this be yes?

2. Is Linux kernel 3.x supported?

3. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any comment.

Rene

Scholar

Re: Driver installation fails for ISE 13.4 on Ubuntu 11.10 and Digilent Nexys 2 board

There doesn't currently seem to be any easy way to get these drivers working, even on supported Linux distributions (RHEL, SUSE Enterprise)!

Since you're using a NEXYS2, I would recommend trying FPGALink, an open source tool that lets you upload xsvf files to your board, among other things.

Visitor

Re: Driver installation fails for ISE 13.4 on Ubuntu 11.10 and Digilent Nexys 2 board

joelby thank's for your comment!

In short, FPGALink seems to communicate with my Nexy2 board, but I'm unable to generate the files to load.

After downloading the FPGALink library and compiling the c program example I'm able to load the example xsvf file :-)

Running "make" in the vhdl directory produces bit and xsvf files that work as well.

However, if I start a new ISE project, copy and add the vhdl files, the bit file is different and any xsvf file that I've tried to produce does not work.

Any hint would be appreciated,
Rene
Scholar

Great!

The Makefile in the 'vhdl' directory needs to be customised for your project, so you can't use it without modification (most of which is in the first few lines).

If you're not experienced with hacking Makefiles, I would just produce a bit file from within ISE and convert it to XSVF using iMPACT.

Visitor

Hi All,

Came across the same issue faced by renesond. Only difference is, I'm using SUSE Linux 11.1 (x86_64) and a SP605 board.

Although the original question seems to have been resolved I'll just leave a note on what I did as a reference to others who might be interested. It took me some time to figure it out. But hopefully the next guy/gal won't have to waste their time

0.) Removed all xilinx cables from the linux box

1.) Install 'libusb-devel' and 'fxload'  (found on the SUSE Linux SDK DVD)

2.) Download the libusb-driver from http://rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/

3.) Login as root and open a terminal (or open a terminal and do an 'su' to become root) and untar the content on the just downloaded tar.gz file to a directory.

tar -zxvf usb-driver-HEAD-2d19c7c.tar.gz

4.) Run the Xilinx settins script (replace the path to the xilinx directory with the path applicable on your machine)

source /xilinx/ISE_13.4/ISE_DS/settings64.sh

5.) Installed libusb-driver as instructed in the readme http://git.zerfleddert.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/usb-driver?a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD

6.) Copy the 'libusb-driver.so' to a place of your liking and point the LD_PRELOAD environment variable to the driver. I copied the driver to the '/usr/local/libusb-driver' directory.

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/libusb-driver/libusb-driver.so

7.) Set the XIL_IMPACT_USE_LIBUSB environment variable to 1

export XIL_IMPACT_USE_LIBUSB=1

8.) Run the 'setup_pcusb' script file (found in the same directoy)

9.) Restarted udev

/etc/init.d/boot.udev restart

10.) Plug in the USB cable or dev board to the machine

11.) Do a lsusb to see if the correct product ID (0008) is set

the_prompt # lsusb 
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 03fd:0008 Xilinx, Inc.

12.) Start impact :smileyhappy: