UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor egoalter
Visitor

Eval Vivado install fails on Linux

I'm new to Xilinx - I have a developer board and like to "get started" learning a bit about FPGA programming. PIC, Atmel and similar programming I've done just fine on my software platform Fedora (Linux) - and I only pick software that has that support.  I grabbed Vivado based on a few examples I've seen online - and my first immediate surprise is not only the price but that's not an issue for now, but it's HUGE size. Almost 50GB to just install. I cannot even remember last time a huge MMPORG game took that much space.  Of course I have no idea what I need to include, but even if I remove all supported devices it's 20+GB of space.  I have a feeling XILinx is redistributing every binary of the OS - and if that's the case, it would most likely explain why things aren't working.

The installer fails. After taking forever to download and then "install" the 3rd stage never completes. It's still "installing devices" been hours since it got to this stage, and no CPU or other activity can be seen on the system.  I tried to cancel and restart, but on restart the EXISTING install isn't seen, and I'm again told I need 46GB more disk space to install to just attempt to "repair" or install over the old install.  The install log file has no errors or warnings. It just says it started the installing devices task.

I don't use Windows, so I would like to ask if there are any users of Linux out there who would know tricks or similar to get an install going, and perhaps how to not have to get 46GB of disk space to just get an IDE firmware burner.

The file I downloaded to install is:

Xilinx_Vivado_SDK_Web_2018.2_0614_1954_Lin64.bin

I'm beginning to think I may have picked the wrong download?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Eval Vivado install fails on Linux

Hello @egoalter,

First of all, Fedora Linux OS isn't a supported by Xilinx tools OS, so that is the reason (most-likely) why it is not getting installed correctly of behaving incorrectly as you've explained above.

See UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

Page 11 shows all of the supported OSs. Please try installing on one of the supported Operating System, as Xilinx didn't test the installation on any unsupported OSs, so this behaviour is expected.

Please try using one of the supported operating system and if you still see the same behaviour, please let us know and we will then be able to help you with this problem.

However, since we don't even have such Fedore OS available, we won't even be able to reproduce the issue, in order to be able to help you to get this resolved.

Unless there are other Fedore OS users who've had a similar issue and have managed to overcome this Vivado installation problem, who can help you out with this, you are better off just installing Vivado on a Support OS, as there no guarantee that you won't encounter some other issue further on the line, even if you get the tools up and running.

Also, if you already have a generated bitstream and all you want is to program your FPGA, then you don't actually need to install the entire Vivado in order to do so. You can just obtain https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/xef.html?filename=Xilinx_Vivado_Lab_Lin_2018.2_0614_1954.tar.gz, which is a Vivado Lab edition, which contains a Vivado Hardware Manager (i.e. an FPGA Programming tool, which is license free (i.e. a tool  that doesn't require any licenses)) and if all you are interested is to "learning a bit about FPGA programming", this would perhaps be just what you are looking for? The size is only less than 600MB in comparison to the entire Vivado installation of 50GB.

I hope the above is clear.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos