cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Export RTL as "PCore for EDK" - Virtex 6

Jump to solution

I have the following issue when using Vivado HLS with Virtex 6 (ML605 Evaluation Kit).

I want to export an RTL Design as Pcore in order to import it later to XPS as part of a complete design. According to the relative video (at 2:40), a Vivado standalone (licence VIVADO_HLS) must be obtained.

I downloaded and installed the Vivado HLS System Edition and licensed it with a free 30 day trial from the Vivado License Manager. However, when I create a new project in Vivado HLS (targeted to a Virtex 6) and try to perform "Export RTL" after "C Synthesis", the option "Pcore for EDK" is not available under "Format Selection" drop down menu.

Moreover, when I run Co-Simulation I get the following error:

ERROR: [COSIM 212-4] *** C/RTL co-simulation finished: FAIL ***
(DEBUG) -> vhdl_sim_run{...} @ "autosim.tcl" => ERROR: "Run Vivado failed"
(DEBUG) -> -> prepare_ip{{vhdl}} @ "autosim.tcl" => ERROR: "Run Vivado failed"
ERROR: [Coretcl 2-106] Specified part could not be found.

The above seems to imply that the specified board (Virtex 6) is not supported even though it is clarified in the above video that Vivado HLS does support Virtex 6 with the VIVADO_HLS license.

My question is, how can I obtain the Vivado stand-alone (license VIVADO_HLS) in order to run Co-Simulation and export the RTL to XPS as Pcore?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@jafou

Virtex 6 is supported till Vivado HLS 2015.4.

Please use this version instead.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies

@jafou

Which version of Vivado HLS are you using?

Please share your license file and xinfo here.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

@nupurs

I am using Vivado HLS 2016.4 System Edition.

Below I am attaching both the 30 day trial license and the purchased one. Neither of these provides me with the option of exporting the RTL as "Pcore for EDK".

Since I am very new to FPGAs and Xilinx Tools, any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos

@jafou

Virtex 6 is supported till Vivado HLS 2015.4.

Please use this version instead.

Thanks,
Nupur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor
@nupurs

Thank you very much for your reply. I will use the version you mentioned.

Just one more thing, how can I obtain the VIVADO_HLS license after the 30 day trial expires? Does the license I attached previously support Virtex 6 in HLS?

Again, thank you for your quick reply.
0 Kudos

@jafou,

Yes, the license you attached supports Virtex-6.

In case you need another trial license(but I think the other license you have is enough), then you can contact an FAE from this link: https://www.xilinx.com/about/contact/authorized-distributors.html

Thanks,
Nupur
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

@nupurs

It seems to work fine with the 2015.4 version since the "Pcore for EDK" is now available as an option.

Thank you very much for your help.

I still get the following errors during Co-Simulation though (the C-Synthesis process works fine):

ERROR: [VRFC 10-149] 'floating_point_v6_1' is not compiled in library xilinxcorelib [D:/FPGA_Projects/HLS/sobi_covariance/solution1/sim/vhdl/ips/fadd_v6.vhd:72]

ERROR: Please check the snapshot name which is created during 'xelab',the current snapshot name "xsim.dir/sobi_covariance/xsimk.exe" does not exist

@E [SIM-4] *** C/RTL co-simulation finished: FAIL ***

The thing is, that the above errors only appear when I run Co-Simulation for Virtex 6. If I create another solution of the same project with a Zynq ZC702 as the targeted board, no errors occur.

Does the above have anything to do with the licenses, or is it a completely irrelevant issue? If it's the latter, I should probably post a question in a different topic.

Thank you very much for your time. Your help has been more than useful.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

@nupurs

I noticed that the error that I posted above (which appears when using Vivado Simulator), changes to the following when choosing ISE Simulator for the Co-Simulation:

@E [SIM-119] Cannot find ISIM. Make sure it is added to the path variable.

I tried with this simulator because I assumed that ISE is used for validating designs targeted for older devices.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I solved the Co-Simulation problem when using ISE Simulator by pointing the PATH variable to Xilinx implementation tools according to:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43271.html

Is there a way to solve the problem regarding the Vivado Simulator with Virtex 6? Or is it not possible to use this simulator with an older device such as Virtex 6? I am asking because this option seems to be faster.

0 Kudos

@jafou,

Vivado supports only 7 series and Ultrascale devices. So I am afraid using the Vivado Simulator is not possible.

Thanks,
Nupur
0 Kudos