cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Floating license on VM - workaround?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to get my VIVADO System edition floating license setup on my VM license server, which is hosting all other licensing tools we're using.

As I understand, the xilinx license tool is actually not able to handle a VM installed OS - is there any workaround for this?

I guess I can install the license server on a workstation to get started for now?

In case the next update (2014.3) will be able to support license tools on a VM (as planned) - are there any pootential issues with moving the license from the workstation to the server?

Thanks for yor help, best regards

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Floating license on VM - workaround?

Jump to solution

Hi,

As I understand, the xilinx license tool is actually not able to handle a VM installed OS - is there any workaround for this?

--> Since the activation based licensing is not supported with VM, you can change this to conventional certifiate based               license(.lic).

In case the next update (2014.3) will be able to support license tools on a VM (as planned) - are there any pootential issues with moving the license from the workstation to the server?

--> For this you need to return your license and then again generate it for the server machine.

For the procedure to return license check this AR,http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60525.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi Mike,

Yes, License installation on VM will be supported from Vivado 2014.3 (Most Probably).

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

--> Since the activation based licensing is not supported with VM, you can change this to conventional certifiate based               license(.lic).

--> For this you need to return your license and then again generate it for the server machine.

For the procedure to return license check this AR,http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60525.html

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help.

I'm trying since 1 day to move the "partially" generated license from my VM to the workstation on which I'm running VIVADO.

I've followed the instructions to return a license to xilinx in order to get a new one for the other machine. The problem is, the license seems to be locked to my VM, but when I run the procedure (command line) to release the license, the tool is telling me there is no content in the secure spce - I guess thats because it didn't work properly.

Looking at the Xilinx lincese management web site, I see 2 licenses activated for the VM, but I can't access the "modify license" button in the webbrowser - it's greyed out.

May I ask once more for your assistance, or any document / site that describes a similar behaviour?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I guess you have already requested for a license key from Xilinx Licensing site and the license will be sent to you via email. The license entitlement is recording on the website no matter if you process the .xml license key into trusted storage or not. In generally you need to process the license key and then return the license key to Xilinx if you want to rehost it.

Since the license request is from a VM which is not supported by Activation based license for now, you need to contact Xilinx Technical Support to reclaim your license entitlement and have it changed from Activation to Certificate based licensing.

Regards,

Sean

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for all your help - I'll try to get this certificate changed, and hopefully get it re-changed once VM are supported for license servers.

best regards

Mike

0 Kudos