UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie williamlu97

Having trouble connecting to Virtex-7 FPGA

I'm currently using an eval board from Analog Devices, the ADS7-V2EBZ eval board.  It is based off the Xilinx Virtex-7 XC7VX330T-3FFG1157E FPGA.  I downloaded Vivado and when i'm creating a project i can't find the exact part for this board.  When i choose one that's similar I'm unable to get past the Code Synthesis step and it give tells me that there's something wrong with my license.  Do i need to buy a specific license to use with this board?

Also how do i get past the Bitstream generation step?  When i choose a different part just to test my code i get an error on the bitstream generation part where it tells me i haven't defined the I/O ports.  Is there a way to get past this step?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Having trouble connecting to Virtex-7 FPGA

You will need a Vivado Design Edition license; the free WebPack license does not support the Virtex chips.

If bitstream generation is complaining that you haven't defined your I/O ports, the obvious question is whether you have actually defined your I/O ports. Have you?

0 Kudos
Newbie williamlu97

I have not defined my I/O ports, i'm not sure how to define ports.  Are there any resources for beginner FPGA coders that i can look at?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @williamlu97 :

You must have a license to use this device. 

Vivado WebPACK Tool does not support Virtex-7 FPGA. That's why you are getting a license error in code synthesis step. You will need Vivado Design Suite Editions (latest are 2018.2 or 2018.3) that support Virtex-7 devices. 

You will only be able to use below devices with Webpack Edition 2018.3:

Supported Device18.3.PNG

You can check this link for reference :

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/design-hubs/dh0013-vivado-installation-and-licensing-hub.html

You can refer to Vivado Design Suite Tutorial 1.Using Constraints (UG945) and 2.Design Flows Overview (UG888) to learn about complete Vivado Project flow untill Bitstream generation. 

1. https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug945-vivado-using-constraints-tutorial.pdf

2. https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug888-vivado-design-flows-overview-tutorial.pdf

Thanks,

Priyanka

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find this information useful, please mark it "accept as solution"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos