Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtri-samo
Observer
Observer

How to add Board File to Vivado 2021.1

Jump to solution

Hey all,

I'm trying to start a project with a ZCU208. When I go to select the board in the Create Project Wizard, the 208 is not populated. When I first opened the UI it did populate the 208, but the board required install. I installed it, but the board then removed itself from the supported boards.

INFO: [xhubtcl 76-61] The object 'xilinx.com:xilinx_board_store:zcu208:2.0' is already installed, to update use xhub::update command.
INFO: [xhubtcl 76-61] The object 'xilinx.com:xilinx_board_store:zcu208_es:1.1' is already installed, to update use xhub::update command.
INFO: [xhubtcl 76-61] The object 'xilinx.com:xilinx_board_store:zcu208_es:1.0' is already installed, to update use xhub::update command.
INFO: [xhubtcl 76-61] The object 'xilinx.com:xilinx_board_store:zcu208ld_es:1.0' is already installed, to update use xhub::update command.

gtrisamo_0-1626470920885.png

I have tried the .tcl commands in the Xilinx Board Store for 2021.1, but to no avail. I also tried starting a project and then changing the board, no dice. I tried changing the board using .tcl commands and still nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Vivado, same error.

In v2015 You used to be able to just drop the files in <vivado_version>/data/board_files, but that is no longer a directory in 2021.1.

Any advice? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gtri-samo
Observer
Observer

Figured it out,
In Vivado 2021.1
Help>Add Design Tools or Devices...

Add support for Engineering Sample Devices for Custom Platorms.

I could have sworn I added it on install, but here we are. Happy coding y'all!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
florentw

HI @gtri-samo 

Download the board files to a known directory then use the following command

set_param board.repoPaths <path with the board file>​

To avoid needing this command each time you start vivado you can add this command in a Vivado_init.tcl file located in the .Xilinx/Vivado/ folder

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
gtri-samo
Observer
Observer

Florentw,
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I tried that. I created my own board_files directory and pathed it using set_param board.repoPaths, to the board_files directory. No dice. I even tried adding the ZCU208's specific board file path, didn't work. I had read in, https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/search-path-for-board-files/td-p/636387 that board.repoPaths, "... can also specify a directory with multiple subdirectories, each containing a seperate board interface file." Thus, I'm under the impression that dumping the XilinxBoardStore xilinx boards in board_files and mapping the repoPaths to that directory SHOULD work. However, the solution comes from UG895 https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_1/ug895-vivado-system-level-design-entry.pdf which as I hinted at, was written for 2015.1. This seems to be unique to 2021.1, but I've only tried on 2017.1 and 2019.2. I'll try to reproduce this on another machine.

I also verified that the path actually took, see below:

get_param board.repoPaths
C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2021.1/data/boards/board_files

Thanks,

Samo

0 Kudos
florentw

HI @gtri-samo 

Can you check your installation (use Xilinx Information Center > Add Tools/Devices) and check that ZynqRFSoC devices are installed:

florentw_0-1626701251740.png

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
gtri-samo
Observer
Observer

Figured it out,
In Vivado 2021.1
Help>Add Design Tools or Devices...

Add support for Engineering Sample Devices for Custom Platorms.

I could have sworn I added it on install, but here we are. Happy coding y'all!

View solution in original post