UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

I get "ERROR: This installation is not supported on 32 bit platforms." on a 64 bit platform

I get "ERROR: This installation is not supported on 32 bit platforms." on a 64 bit platform

Debian Jessie 64 bit system. When running the Linux installer ./Xilinx_Vivado_SDK_2015.1_0428_1_Lin64.bin it prints Even after removing i386 support from multiarch, including every 32 bit package, the installer greets me with this error.
Visitor

Re: I get "ERROR: This installation is not supported on 32 bit platforms." on a 64 bit platform

Apparently the xsetup script uses "uname -i" which returns "unknown" on my Arch linux installation.
But if you know that you have an x86_64 system, you can simply comment out the check in the xsetup file, installation goes file and it seems also that vivado & vivado hls work fine that way.

Re: I get "ERROR: This installation is not supported on 32 bit platforms." on a 64 bit platform

[ Edited ]

Hi,
Debian is unsupported OS and we have not tested Vivado on Debian.
Try using supported OS.

Microsoft Windows Support
• Windows 7 and 7 SP1 Professional (64-bit), English/Japanese.
• Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit), English/Japanese.
• Vivado® Lab Edition is the only Xilinx toolset that supports Windows 7 SP1
Professional, 32-bit Operating System. Lab Edition also supports the 64-bit systems.
Linux Support
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 7.0 (64-bit)
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 6.4-6.6 (64-bit)
• SUSE Linux Enterprise 12.0 (64-bit)
• Cent OS 7.0 (64-bit)
• Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS (64-bit)
• Vivado Lab Edition is the only Xilinx toolset that supports the Red Hat Enterprise
Workstation

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Adventurer

Hi,

This might be an unsupported OS, but uname -m is the right command to check the architecture ;).

Best Regards,

Stephan

Yap!

I am running Arch Linux too. Solved the problem by:

1\ starting the installer with the --confirm parameter , path to the xsetup file got displayed

2\ finding and modifying the xsetup file (uname -m).

3\ confirmed the execution of xsetup in the installer shell.

Worked fine!

Xilinx Employee

Although it's possible to install Vivado 2015.1 on 32-bit OS, it's not recommended to use in that way
1. No test has been made on these unsupported OS by Xilinx
2. Limit on physical memory for 32-bit OS hinders the performance.
Adventurer

Nobody said that someone installs Vivado 2015.1 on 32-bit platform. However, the usage of 'uname -i' in xsetup is wrong and should be replaced by 'uname -m'. The first one returns the hardware platform (e.g. GenuineIntel, AuthenticAMD, ...) and the latter one returns the machine hardware name (e.g. i386, i686, x86_64, ...).

Visitor ldp
Visitor

tud_hartmann is right, it is correct solution.
Visitor

I had the same issue to install Vivado or to install SDK separatly. A colleague from software staff found a solution. In Debians, their is an uname working well (at least for "-i" otpion):

$ /usr/lib/klibc/bin/uname -i

Solution :

$ sudo dpkg-divert --add --rename --divert /bin/uname.orig /bin/uname
 $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/klibc/bin/uname /bin/uname

To go back :

$ sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /bin/uname

sources: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/coreutils/+bug/470550

Regards

I have downloaded the Linux 64 bit installer (.bin). I am running on a supported 64 bit Linux (Ubuntu 14.04). I am getting this same error. Is there a workaround? I saw mention of a command line option, but I haven't found documentation for that. (Not really sure where to look.) I am running a VMware Ubuntu 14.04.3 (Trusty Tahr).