cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpontis
Visitor
Visitor

ISE 14.7: A problem was encountered attempting to get the ChipScopePro license.

My understanding is that ChipScopePro is freely included with ISE 14.7. So, I instantiate the icon and chipscope cores in my verilog project using the core generator. It shows in the catalog that these cores are "included". The core generator does its thing and synthesis succeeds. However, the process fails in implementation with the error messages shown below. The same project can be fully implemented if these cores are commented out.

I have tried multiple installations and web searching, most of which lead me to the Xilinx site for managing and acquiring licenses. There I see some optional cores, but nothing about a WebPACK or ISE or "analyzer". However, the Xilinx License Configuration manager started from the application does show ISE_WebPACK and Analyzer with version limits of 2015.08 and 2017.06.

Please tell me, is what I want to do possible, and if so how can I fix it ?

George

Reading NGO file "C:/Consult/SwiftMile/FPGA/206291/R1-206291/chg.ngc" ...
Loading design module "ipcore_dir/chipscope.ngc"...
Loading design module "ipcore_dir/icon.ngc"...
ERROR:NgdBuild:1317 - Using core chipscope_ila_v1 requires a ChipScopePro
   license.  The following blocks are instances of core chipscope_ila_v1:
    /chg/chg
    /chg/chipscope1

-----------------------------------------------
INFO:Security:71 - If a license for part 'xc6slx9' is available, it will be
possible to use 'ChipScopePro_TDP' instead of 'ChipScopePro'.
INFO:Security:61 - The XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable is not set.
INFO:Security:62 - The LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable is set to
'C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\Xilinx.lic;C:\lscc\license.dat'.
INFO:Security:68 - For more information or for assistance in obtaining
 a license, please run the Xilinx License Configuration Manager
       (xlcm or "Manage Xilinx Licenses".)
INFO:Security:68a - user is GPontis, on host P8B.
WARNING:Security:9b - No 'ChipScopePro' feature version 2013.10 was available
for part 'xc6slx9'.
ERROR:Security:12 - No 'xc6slx9' feature version 2013.10 was available (-5),
     so 'ChipScopePro_TDP' may not be used.

No such feature exists.
Feature:       ChipScopePro
License path:
C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\Xilinx.lic;C:\lscc\license.dat;C:/.Xilinx\Xilinx.lic;C:\Xi
linx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\/data\*.lic;C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\/coregen/core_license
s\Xilinx.lic;C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\/coregen/core_licenses\XilinxFree.lic;C:\
Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\EDK/data/core_licenses\Xilinx.lic;
FLEXnet Licensing error:-5,357
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.flexerasoftware.com".No such feature exists.
Feature:       xc6slx9
License path:
C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\Xilinx.lic;C:\lscc\license.dat;C:/.Xilinx\Xilinx.lic;C:\Xi
linx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\/data\*.lic;C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\/coregen/core_license
s\Xilinx.lic;C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\/coregen/core_licenses\XilinxFree.lic;C:\
Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\EDK/data/core_licenses\Xilinx.lic;
FLEXnet Licensing error:-5,357
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.flexerasoftware.com".
ERROR:NgdBuild:1316 - A problem was encountered attempting to get the
   ChipScopePro license.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anatoli

Hello @gpontis,

You'd still need an ISE license with the 'ChipScopePro' feature in it. Do you have such a license? 

28.PNG

If not, that is what you are missing, as ChipScope is a licensed feature and still requires a valid license.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gpontis
Visitor
Visitor

I do not have a license with that feature on my computer. However, I tried installing the 14.7 WebPack ( Win 10 ) and it does have such a license. Also it can start ChipScope and connect to a DLC10.

I don't know if that license was obtained from the Xilinx license server, or built into the distribution. It is a node-locked license. Unfortunately that installation running in a VM is not a practical solution. It has nowhere near the performance of either native Windows or native Linux, and the display is too small and not clear.

If the 14.7 ( win 10 ) installation can run ChipScope, does it mean that there is some chance to get a similarly capable license for the native WIndows version of 14.7 ?

George

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @gpontis,

As you are working with Spartan-6 device, and correctly using ISE 14.7 Windows 10 installation, then from here (page 12):

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug1227-spartan6-vm-windows10.pdf, you can read that ISE tools for all Spartan-6 devices are already licensed, including ChipScope. So, that is why everything works fine with this particular ISE Win 10 installation.

If you just want to install the original ISE 14.7, first of all, please note that you may not be able to install it on Windows 10 PC, as it is not supported OS.

You'd need to install this on one of the supported OSs and the list can be found here:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/irn.pdf

image.png

From here, https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite/ise-webpack.html, you can see that ISE WebPACK supports ChipScope, so all you'd need is a free ISE WebPACK license once you have ISE 14.7 installed, as you can see this license has ChipScope licensing feature in it:

image.png

Therefore, all you'd need is this free ISE WebPACK license that is available for you on the Xilinx Product Licensing page: www.xilinx.com/getlicenses.

If you have any further questions, please let us know and we will be glad to help you further then.  

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

0 Kudos