UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

ISE WebPack 14.7 install on Windows 8.1 giving _pn.exe

Observer

ISE WebPack 14.7 install on Windows 8.1 giving _pn.exe

Hello All,

I am installing the Xilinx ISE Webpack 14.7 on a 64 bit Windows 8.1 machine and receive an error message of "_pn.exe has stopped working".

I could not find a resolution to this issue on my operating system and am needing assisatnce on troubleshooting.

Aaron

Re: ISE WebPack 14.7 install on Windows 8.1 giving _pn.exe

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Windows-8 is not a supported OS with ISE.

Can you please use one of the below supported OS?

Microsoft Windows Support
• Windows XP Professional (32-bit and 64-bit), English/Japanese
• Windows 7 Professional (32-bit and 64-bit), English/Japanese
• Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)
Linux Support
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 5 (32-bit and 64-bit)
• Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 6 (32-bit and 64-bit)
• SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Check this related thread http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Xilinx-ISE-installation-problem-on-windows8-Release-Preview/td-p/245650/page/2

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Observer

How it's possible????!!!!! Xilinx is not at the same level that the last technologie?????? I mean: about software.

Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Our latest tools ( Vivado 2014.1 and later versions) are supported on Windows8

Thanks,
Manusha

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many issues might be already discussed in forums and documented in Answer Records. Do a Google and Xilinx forum search before posting the query.
Visit www.xilinx.com -> Documentation for any Xilinx Products Documents.
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful so that it will help the other forum users to directly refer to the answer.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Here is a nice video that will help you to install ISE on windows 8.1 OS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5q8AqcYVmE

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Observer

All I had to do was rename some .dll files and it wordked fine.

Thanks for the help all.

Adventurer

I didn't find any relevant info in the video, could you possibly type out the steps to get ISE 14.7 running under Windows-8?

BTW, I too find it amazing that Xilinx wouldn't officially support Windows-8 for the tool that is the only way to do designs with Spartan-6 and older devices. How are we to handle legacy support? Keep an old PC locked away somehow? My old Windows-XT machine is barely usable due to the lack of support for the operating system, so I hardly see that as an option.

Cheers!

/Lars

Xilinx Employee

Hello Lars,

Here are the steps to follow:

Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Thanks,

Vinay

Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Adventurer

That was quick! Thanks, it worked if I run ISE as Administrator.

There was a snag with the license manager that seems to have a similar problem. I get the error "_xlcm.exe has stopped working". Not sure if that is a problem, I will try to resolve my WebPACK license later today. I am trying to migrate an old ISE project using a Spartan-3AN device, I am not even sure it will be supported in 14.7...

Cheers!

/Lars

Hello,

Check if this AR helps

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33159.html

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.