UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie ragulan

ISE Windows 10 version

Jump to solution

I had downloaded first below location ISE Windows 10 SW

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/14_7-windows.html

I do not have admin permssion so IT installed this SW in my machine after they enable the virtualization in BIOS. However it did not work. 

Since it did not work I went to below site by clikcing 14.7

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/v2012_4---14_7.html

I picked the Windows 7/XP/Server version ISE SW. This installation worked. After installed 64-bit did not work so I start to use 32-bit version. I did not build a load yet.

Please let me know, what is the recommended ISE SW for windows 10 machine since the virtualization Windows 10 ISE SW did not work in my machine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: ISE Windows 10 version

Jump to solution

thats on eof the many problems of using the bundled version.

If you want to stay with windows 7,

Your better off IMHO, using a free VM such as virtual box

https://www.virtualbox.org/

then installing your own Windows 7 on that , you must have a disc some where, or the ebay has many at very low cost.

then you are in control and have access to all the devices that ISE 14.7 supports, not just the resticted list of the pre VM wrapped tool.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @ragulan ,

The only available option is to use the VM for Windows 10. You need to have the Oracle VirtualBox installed in order to succesfully run the VM.

There is no other recommended/tested way to use ISE in Windows 10. Even though you were able to install the version for Windows 7, it's not supported by Xilinx and therefore there's no guarantee it'll work.

You can see more instructions on how to install and debug the Windows 10 ISE in the document https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug1227-spartan6-vm-windows10.pdf.

Finally, just as a reminder, this version only works for Spartan-6 devices. If you are planning to target any other device, you'll need to either install the full ISE 14.7 (in Windows 7). Or if you are using a 7-series or newer device, you can migrate to Vivado.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor ragulan_t
Visitor

Jump to solution

As I had replied before. I do not have admin permission, so IT installed the SW. In your reference doc you have below text.

"The  ISE tools execute on an Oracle Linux Virtual Machine"

Question: Which Linux version I should pick?

I clicked on the "New" icon. Once I enterned name as "Xilinx_VM" the selected type became as Linux with Linux 2.6/3x/4.x(64-bit) version.

In the settings what do I need to provide for snapshot folder?

I gave VirtualBox directory (i.e. E:\Xilinx\14.7_VM\tps\VirtualBox) but it retured as I do not have read permission. If I reset it looks for "E:\Xilinx\VirtalBox_VMs\Xilinx_VM\Snapshots". Where do I find the Snapshots folder?

I have below folders in my PC after install

E:\Installation Media\Xilinx_ISE_S6_Win10_14.7_ISE_VMs_0206_1

E:\Xilinx\14.7_VM\bin

One of the known issue is ISE VM can be used by installer. Can I use this VM if I did not install it? I do not have admin permission.

Presently I could not create a VM session but in the reference do, you have provided user name, password for login.  How do I get a login screen? During my create a new session after configuration I have below directory

E:\Xilinx\VirtalBox_VMs\Xilinx_VM\Logs

But still not working with snapshot folder setting issue.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ragulan_t ,

The package you download for Xilinx.xom comes with everything already. You don't have to pick any Linux OS or specify any directories. Running the Installer will take care of that for you.

Since you don't have Administrator privileges and you already have the VirtualBox installed, you can just follow the steps in the following link to import the OVA file.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E26796/html/qs-import-vm.html

The OVA file is located in the directory Xilinx_ISE_S6_Win10_14.7_ISE_VMs_0206_1/ova/ISE_S6_VM.ova

Once you import this OVA into the VirtualBox, it will create a whole virtual machine for you. You just need to click on the green arrow to start the VM and after a few seconds you should see the initial screen as below:

ISE_Windows10.PNG

There is no username or password to login into this VM.

Observe that ISE is already installed there and ready to go (you may still need to do the licensing process as described in the document ISE Spartan-6 VM for Windows 10 - UG1227 (v14.7), chapter 5).

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Visitor ragulan_t
Visitor

Jump to solution

IT provided admin permission. I already installed the ISE VM in windows 10. I did not start to use it yet. As you said I may have to set the license and windows drive mapping to VM.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

"starts in a few seconds"

now thats a laugh..  All the anti virus , scans and policies at most companies , and the lack luster update of PC's policies, mean that start up of the VM is a good minute,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor ragulan_t
Visitor

Jump to solution

By default when I installed it picked the Linux as OS. Can I choose the Windows-7 as VM OS insted of Linux or can I include Windos-7 OS along with Linux?

I can see the Shared folder in my Linux machine and files. I did not build a load yet.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @ragulan_t ,

No, the VM that you downloaded from Xilinx website already comes with Linux and there's no option to change it.

If you would like to use it on Windows 7, you would have to manually create your own virtual machine, acquire and install a Windows 7 image on it, and then install the compatible ISE. All that work would need to be done manually by you, so it definitely will take some time.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

0 Kudos
Observer davidfi1
Observer

Jump to solution

I have an old project with windows "\" in the include path of files.

ISE does not find the included file because it uses "/" and not "\".

How do I enable ISE to find the files?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

thats on eof the many problems of using the bundled version.

If you want to stay with windows 7,

Your better off IMHO, using a free VM such as virtual box

https://www.virtualbox.org/

then installing your own Windows 7 on that , you must have a disc some where, or the ebay has many at very low cost.

then you are in control and have access to all the devices that ISE 14.7 supports, not just the resticted list of the pre VM wrapped tool.

View solution in original post