UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

ISE just stopped working on Win 7

Hi,

I know ISE is not supported on Windows 7 but I've had 12.2 up and running for a few weeks now without any problems on the 64 bit version. Something has happened over the weekend and now whenever I try to start up ISE a command box flashes up for a moment and then nothing happens. It is the same for the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

I have also tried to install 12.3 and whenever I try to start xsetup the same thing happens.

I get the following data each time in the event log:

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2010-11-29T11:49:22.000000000Z

EventRecordID 1475

Channel Application

Computer Craggy

Security
- EventData
      ise.exe
      4c2068d7
      unknown
      c0000005
      a28
    01cb8fbb755bdd73
    C:\Xilinx\12.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\ise.exe
    unknown
    b466529c-fbae-11df-9838-001dbaaadd94

If anyone has a work around for this it would be great.

Thanks,

Aedan Coffey

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ISE just stopped working on Win 7

Try to use the command line run settings32/64.bat in ISE installation directory first and launch ISE in command line. Take a look at the error message.
0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Sadly there are no messages whatsoever other than the Event Log entry in the original post.

Since it last worked I have installed the following:

Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Photoshop CS4

Visual Studio Express 2010 C++

Visual Studio Express 2010 Visual Basic

Could any of these have updated any libraries used by ise.exe or xsetup.exe?

The symptoms has seen now sound very similar to those reported in the other post with the title "

Webpack 12.3 xsetup does not run under Windows 7 - same .tar file works fine in XP"

Best regards,

Aedan

0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

I have just downloaded version 13.1 and the bug is still there, whenever I try and run xsetup.exe there is a short pause with the mouse going "busy" and then nothing happens......

Up to now I've been able to get by running ISE 12 in XP compatibility mode using the virtual PC but it's a real pain, now that Windows 7 is fully supported I need to get this fixed. All help will be gratefully received!

Aedan

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

So what happens if you open a command window and try to run the xsetup.exe?

You will probably need to change to the directory where this is located as it won't be in the search path.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Hello Ed,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If I cd to the directory where xsetup.exe is and then type xsetup I first get the User Account Control message asking if it's ok to let xsetup from an unknown publisher make changes to my computer. I click on "Yes", then that window goes away and nothing else happens. The mouse pointer goes into it's busy "spinning" mode for about 6 seconds and then reverts to normal. There is little or no hard disk activity during this period.

Best regards,

Aedan

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Just to be clear.  You have downloaded the entire 13.1 release, extracted it to a directoy and are now trying to insall it using xsetup.exe?

Do you have enough disk space left?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Yes, I downloaded the entire release and extracted it. Note that this problem has existed with at least two downloads now.

I have 128GB free on my C drive, which is where ISE is installed.

Aedan

0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

I found a file called Report.wer in the directory:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_xsetup.exe_86c2b7286e77ced9f72092d5379e6e3d3ef5c8fd_0bdb1cbd

This file is attached, it might be of some use.

Aedan

0 Kudos
Newbie sbarnhill

I am having the same issue on my W7 box. Did this issue get resolved?

0 Kudos
Newbie sbarnhill

I ended up burning the extracted 13.1 install filed to a DVD and installing from the DVD. That worked and likely the path on my harddrive to the install files was 'too long' as I have seen that issue before with Xilinx tools. Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor pranav312
Visitor

It is happening on machine as well..

it runs for a while..it generates dll.exe process in back ground and as it stops..the process also gets stop.

What is happening?.. Is 13.1 supporting win7 or any other programs stopping the execution?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Hi sbarnhill,

Yes, the problem still exists.

The idea of burning it to a DVD makes sense, I'll try that as soon as I'm back in the office. I've left the external drive with the kit on it there so I can't try it here.

Thanks for the suggestsion,

Aedan

0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Hi pranav312,

Do you have any of the programs mentioned earlier in this thread installed?

Aedan

0 Kudos
Visitor pranav312
Visitor

hi,

I did not get you. I am installing this Xillinx 13.1 software first time on my computer..it did not work then I tried with 12, mean while I have also generated node locked license file for my PC.. then also its not working :(

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If the problem is related to a directory naming issue then change the directory names, or moving the file to fix this should resolve the problem. 

Try putting the install area into an area that does not have spaces in any of the directory names.

0 Kudos
Visitor pranav312
Visitor

Thanks for your quick reply.

I googled it. I am only getting 2 forums on which I am writing and release notes.I am not able to get any information in that either.

One more thing I have taken 30days evaluation license by giving my MAC id. and downloaded .lic file .

I tried to runnad store the whole software on various places in the computer.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The text at the bottom of my posts is a generic signature and was not related to anything specific in your post.

> I tried to runnad store the whole software on various places in the computer.

This isn't clear to me. 

What problems are you having? 

Is it the installation not completing correctly? 

Or Project Navigator not starting?

Or not getting a license checkout?

Are you using Win7 like the original poster or another OS?

0 Kudos
Visitor pranav312
Visitor

I apologies for that, I was in hurry. I was stating that, I tried to store at different location in the computer memory such as in DVD, extended USB hard drive and in the hard disk were my OS is booted.

In the case of DVD, the DVD which did not worked on my laptop worked on my friend's laptop. He is having Windows VISTA/32bit OS.

Now I am thinking that, there must some other program in my computer that is stopping the installation. What might be it?

I removed my anti virus/ Firewall but it did not work.

What should I do now?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You didn't answer any of the questions that I asked so it is difficult for anyone to help:

What problems are you having? 

Is it the installation not completing correctly? 

Or Project Navigator not starting?

Or not getting a license checkout?

Are you using Win7 like the original poster or another OS?

0 Kudos
Visitor pranav312
Visitor

Windows 7 is original poster OS for my computer.

I have Days evaluation license for the product.

The problem is that when I run the xsetup.exe file, it runs xsetup.exe process for a while then stops automatically giving no response.

0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Hi,

I met up with my external hard drive again last night so I copied the 13.1 kit to the root level on a DVD. However I get the same symptoms as before.

To recap:

I did have ISE 12.2 running on my Win7-64 bit laptop for a while without any problems.  It stopped working, all Xilinx software has the same symptoms now, ie it tries to start but then just disappears, giving some messages in the event log (see earlier posts). This applies to ISE 12.2 and also the xsetup.exe program from the 13.1 kit.

Until now I've managed to live with this by running ISE in a virtual XP machine, however it's unstable and slow in that configuration and impact won't run. It's beginning to affect my work now so all help would be gratefully received.

It seems I'm not alone with this problem, there are other posters reporting similar symptoms. If it helps diagnose this I can produce the machine at the Xilinx facility in Dublin for people to look at.

Thanks,

Aedan

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

If my job or company depended on it, I would find a Vista x64 machine and do a clean install of 12.4.

Also, if you're limited by HD space, 750GB and 1TB laptop drives are readily available.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

This was a brand new wipe-and-install of Win7-64 about 2 months ago!!

If I was confident that would solve the problem I'd consider it, even though it takes several days.

Aedan

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

This was a brand new wipe-and-install of Win7-64 about 2 months ago!!

Two problems:

• ISE 12.4 is proven, but does not support Win7 (officially)
  • ISE 13.1 is "less proven" -- or less well-understood.

If you are at the point where you need to avoid risk and uncertainty, avoid 13.1 and avoid Win 7 with 12.4.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Newbie jlr107020

To both of you having problems with 13.1 xsetup.exe on Windows 7--

I  understand the frustrations you are having because this same situation with Windows 7 has been affecting my school work.

It seems they finally upgraded their software to be "compatible" with 64-bit machines, and therefore 13.1 was supposed to finally be "compatible" with Windows 7.

However, if you look up the "Known Issues" for 13.1, it explicitly states that there are "compatibility issues" with Windows 7 in regard to xsetup.exe.  I wish I could give you both more information, but Xilinx's only remark on the issue is to "ignore it" because apparently "the issue will be fixed in 13.2".

Yeah...I am sure it will be fixed just as successfully as the Windows 7 issues were in 13.1.

My lab partner successfully downloaded Xilinx on his laptop (Windows XP) but is now having issues with both ModelSim and ISim.

Thank you Xilinx for making my semester as tediously ridiculous as possible. 

0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Just a quick update on this as I'm the original poster.

I just tried to install 13.2 and the problem still exists. I do not get the impression it's being taken very seriously.
0 Kudos
Visitor pranav312
Visitor

I got it. Now, I have a new system and Xilinx was first or second program I installed after matlab.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

All my versions (12.3 and 14.2) of ISE have also stopped working.  I have been using 7 64-bit as well.   Another thing we have in common is I had installed the Microsoft Visual Studio Express.     This appears to have been the last software I had installed.   I uninstalled VS  and was still unable to get ISE to run.   I am now in the process of reinstalling ISE. 

I have been running 12.3 and 10.1 versions of ISE (64-bit) on this same PC with no problems for well over a year.  I also saw no problems when running 14.2.  

I had ran into problems when installing the latest Aldec simulator that also caused ISE to stop working.   Uninstalling Aldec and going back a version corrected it without reinstalling ISE.

After reinstalling 14.2, with VS express removed, ISE 12.3 and 14.2 are now working again.    I would need to reinstall VS to see if this reproduced.   Maybe it installed some MS lib that ISE is using.   

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Visitor aedanc
Visitor

Interesting, it's almost two years later and this bug is still around. The company I was contracting with then moved the original project from Xilinx to Altera partly because of this problem. I'm now bidding for another job with a customer that wants to use Xilinx but it looks like I'll have to factor in time to wipe my system into that project.

As far as I recall I did try uninstalling Visual Studio and it made no difference, however when you uninstall something there are often some files left around, or dlls that have been upgraded to different versions so you are not really going back to what you were before. A system restore might be more relevant if you can try that.

0 Kudos