UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor xlx_legion13
Visitor

ISE vboxmanager error

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to install ISE 13.2 on my machine, which is running windows 10. I get the following error at the end of the installation: 

"C:\Xilinx\13.2_VM\vboxmanage"' is not recognized as an internal or external command

This causes the installation to fail. I have added this path to my PATH variable list and it makes no difference. Attached is the installation log file.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ISE vboxmanager error

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

I've confirmed with the Xilinx representative who has implemented the ISE Win10 SIRF, and indeed, for ISE 13.2 SIRF you must have virtualbox installed before running the ISE installer, as otherwise you'd see the error that you've reproted in this forum thread.

I have requested to get UG1341 to be updated, as indeed, the info provided confuses users.

BTW, with the ISE 14.7 S6 VM installer, that is not the case, as it does installs VB. The S6 VM installer indicates specifically that VB will be installed, i.e.:

VB.jpg

Thanks once again for reporting this issue to us and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

ISE 13.2 isn't supported on Windows 10 OS. Therefore, this is due to the use of an unsupported OS.

ISE design suite runs on Windows XP/7/Server and Linux operating systems, click here for OS support details.

For the exact supported operating systems with ISE 13.2, please check this doc:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx13_2/irn.pdf

For your situation, you can install e.g. Windows XP virtual machine or a supported (by ISE 13.x) Linux VM on your Windows 10 OS and that way, you can then install ISE 13.2 on a VM OS, on this Windows 10 machine. That way you should be able to overcome this issue then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor xlx_legion13
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I'm referring to the SIRF version of ISE 13.2. The documentation says the VM is installed with the ISE installation. I assume this is the case because the error refers to the Xilinx installed directory and not a separate directory.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

Please note that you must load SIRF Overlay on top of ISE 13.2 (as the overlay is tied to ISE13.2 only, and any other ISE tools/versions are not supported and were never tested with the overlay)

Can you please confirm if you  actually have ISE 13.2 installed? If so, is it installed on Windows 10 OS?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor xlx_legion13
Visitor

Jump to solution

No, it's not installed. That's the issue I'm having. As I mentioned above, when I run the installer I get the vboxmanage error. The documentation simply says to run the installer and ISE and the VM will be installed as well.

UG1341, page 11 says: "Note: The installation process also installs ISE and VirtualBox as a complete package." 

I assume that because ISE is not compatible with Windows 10, the virtual machine is installed first and then ISE is installed in the virtual machine? So it seems the issue is the vm installation at this point.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi again @xlx_legion13 ,

Thanks for sharing your additional info. Now it is clear regarding your installation. Indeed, ISE SIRF Virtual Machine for Windows 10 extends the ISE Design Suite 13.2 product for the latest Microsoft Windows offering.
And the User Guide 1341 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/ug1341-sirf-vm-windows10.pdf) is the right doc to follow to get this installed.

In relation to the error you are seeing, can you please confirm in relation to the below:

- Is the Virtualization enabled in BIOS on this Win 10 machine? (Refer to your Windows 10 machine vendor documentation for instructions to access BIOS.)

- Does the PC spec meets requirements? i.e. CPU: minimum of 2 cores; RAM 8G; Disk Space over 85 GB?

- Is your Microsoft Hyper-V Disabled and no other Hypervisor installed or enabled on this machine?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor xlx_legion13
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Anatoli,

• Virtualization is enabled
  • The PC exceeds the requirements
  • I did disable all Hyper-V functionality

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

Can you please confirm where you've obtain your current SIRF installation files from?

What is an actual name of the downloaded installation zip file that you are trying to install?

Can you confirm on the above please? Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi again @xlx_legion13 ,

From the User Guide you can read that ISE SIRF Virtual Machine for Windows 10 executes on a virtualized environment. The ISE
tools execute on an Oracle Linux Virtual Machine.

Therefore, the question is, do you have a Oracle Virtual box installed prior to trying this installation?

Can you confirm on this please? Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@xlx_legion13 ,

We can see if the Oracle Virtual box installed or not from the xinstall log file.

Can you please send me your .log file for examination?

Log file location: C:\Users\anatoli\.Xilinx\xinstall\xinstall_1573577270354.log

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Visitor xlx_legion13
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have a little more information to offer. I tried to install 5.0.28 directly before I ran the ISE installer to see if that would make any difference. The installation of 5.0.28 was successful. The installation of ISE got much further but still failed. I tried to import the .ova image in the ISE install folder directly and got the same error as I got trying to do the install. I'm not sure what Oracles support for 5.0.28 with Windows 10 is, so I tried to instead install VB 6.0. When I do this I can successfully import the .ova image, without doing the ISE install, and the ISE environment opens and operates successsfully. This isn't the official Xilinx supported way of doing this but it lets me move forward while we look into this issue. I attached both log files for you to look at. The log file titled "xinstall_woVBinstalled.log" is the log file trying to do a clean install with no Virtual Box installed. The log file titled "xinstall_afterVB5028Installed.log" contains the log file for the install after 5.0.28 was installed prior to running the installer. Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

Thanks for the info.

Using the latest Virtual Box 6.0 is the repferable version for the installation. And if you do the installation now (instead of just importing ISE_SIRF_VM.ova image without actually doing the installation), does the installation completes successfully then?

Can you give this a try and see if the installation works fine with Virtual Box 6.0? Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

We were able to reproduce this behaviour at our end, i.e.:

Test 1:

Tried Installing Xilinx_ISE_13.2_SIRF without any Oracle Virtualbox installed prior. We were able to reproduce the same issue.

Test 2:

Installed Oracle Virtualbox 5.2.34 (or even latest Oracle VB 6.0 as what you've tried). Then tried installing the same Xilinx_ISE_13.2_SIRF. It works fine. Installation was successful.

I have requested to update the UG1341, to remove the above Note and to add the exact version of VB that is supported for this installation.

Thanks once again for reporting this issue.

Also, i hope that with VB 6.0 at your end, you were able to successfully complete the installation of Xilinx_ISE_13.2_SIRF?

Can you confirm on this please? 

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @xlx_legion13 ,

I've confirmed with the Xilinx representative who has implemented the ISE Win10 SIRF, and indeed, for ISE 13.2 SIRF you must have virtualbox installed before running the ISE installer, as otherwise you'd see the error that you've reproted in this forum thread.

I have requested to get UG1341 to be updated, as indeed, the info provided confuses users.

BTW, with the ISE 14.7 S6 VM installer, that is not the case, as it does installs VB. The S6 VM installer indicates specifically that VB will be installed, i.e.:

VB.jpg

Thanks once again for reporting this issue to us and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

Visitor xlx_legion13
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Anatoli,

I apologize for the delayed response. My SIRF ISE13.2 installation was successful after VB 6 was installed first as well. Everything is working as expected.

No problem, thanks for all your help.