cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john321
Adventurer
Adventurer

Inability to install vcredist_x64.exe on win7-64 Home Premium SP1 during install - consequences

Jump to solution

Thread here at request of Florent.

If you don't have this issue - there is no need to read all this post/thread.

This issue has been reported multiple times with no total fix that works being identified I can find.

(Presumably some fixes work on some systems but none I have found work on mine.)

My system has UAC off - dep set off(minimum) - no firewalls of any sort - no other applications

running - no wifi no network connections  - processor is quad core Q8300 at 2.5Ghz +4GB ram.

Logged in as admin account. ie. bare win7 running. Machine manufacture - Packard Bell

During install of Vivado on Windows-7 64 a failure to install vcredist can occur.

I have this with both 2017.1 and now 2017.4

on 2017.1 a "bypass" env variable was provided by Xilinx to enable installation to complete.

This bypass is not needed for 2017.4 as it just pops a warning note and carries on.

The question arises as to why the failure occurs  - is it a system issue or the install .exe itself?

The first thing to note is that my first install (with env variable and 2017.4) went fine without

the vcredist working.

I noticed I have vcredist already installed with an earlier version: 14.0.23026

I have since tried uninstalling this and retrying vivado - no effect - it refuses to install

the later version supplied.

This is what I found in the installation log - perhaps someone knows how to correct this issue:

[03C8:0D7C][2018-01-16T21:47:25]e000: Error 0x800b010a: Failed authenticode verification of payload: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\.unverified\vcRuntimeAdditional_x64
[03C8:0D7C][2018-01-16T21:47:25]e000: Error 0x800b010a: Failed to verify signature of payload: vcRuntimeAdditional_x64
[03C8:0D7C][2018-01-16T21:47:25]e310: Failed to verify payload: vcRuntimeAdditional_x64 at path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\.unverified\vcRuntimeAdditional_x64, error: 0x800b010a, delete: Yes
[03C8:0D7C][2018-01-16T21:47:25]e000: Error 0x800b010a: Failed to cache payload: vcRuntimeAdditional_x64
[0778:0E08][2018-01-16T21:47:25]e314: Failed to cache payload: vcRuntimeAdditional_x64 from working path: d:\Temp\{f144e08f-9cbe-4f09-9a8c-f2b858b7ee7f}\vcRuntimeAdditional_x64, error: 0x800b010a.
[0778:0E08][2018-01-16T21:47:25]e349: Application requested retry of payload: vcRuntimeAdditional_x64, encountered error: 0x800b010a. Retrying...

The above loops a few times then gives up.

It should be noted that the error message 0x800b010a is known to occur on various packages

judging by yahoo searches for it.

I have followed up and tried every certificate patch and fix I can find that other packages need without success.

The authentication issue is perhaps a red herring? I don't know.

It should be noted that I can then re-install my original version of vcredist with no problems.

This suggests the issue is with the specific version of vcredist_x64.exe as supplied with Vivado.

However the consequence of this is errors when attempting to run synthesis.

To test this i tried all examples that came with vivado (eg microblaze etc) and hit very similar

problems with an inability to locate a top level module. (It seems to be a file scanning issue)

In order to test further for this thread I installed a digilent nexys-video board and tried

their HDMI example project following instructions online line by line:

The project created correctly and no warnings,errors or messages were created AFTER I

updated the IP files as it requested. - Everything is clean at this point.

Next I tried Run Behavioural Simulation - this is where it always fails on every project -

The message says there is "no top module name" followed by "No HDL modules found in the design" 

and the instruction to "create a wrapper"

After creating a wrapper the Image attached is the consequence. Vivado cannot function past this point.

My suspicion is this is the consequence of not being able to install the vcredist_x86.exe as supplied

with Vivado and that the earlier version I have installed is not compatible with Vivado.

This suggests the vivado release has some difference in it's installation procedure which causes the conflict.

Why this should happen on some systems and not others I do not know.  Fixing the issue is

probably a case of examining what the 2 versions are doing differently during installation.

FWIW - I have installed Vivado on Centos 6.9(final) with no apparent issues on the same

machine with dual boot so I dont thing there are hardware resource conflicts.

One thing I have noticed that MAY be important: The instructions for setting up the Digilent Nexys board

emphasise changing backslashes to forward slashes for use in TCL.

Could this be an issue in the vcredist_x86.exe file supplied with Vivado somehow?

I don't see how but I thought it worth noting as I dont know who or how the .exe was created.

I hope this helps someone track down the issue as it may ultimately prevent me using Vivado.

please ask if further info is needed.

john

post-wrapper-creation-state.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anatoli

Hello @migrotechy,

Thanks a lot for letting us know and we are glad to see your issue is resolved now. And thanks for sharing your workaround that helped you to resolve the problem. This should help other users with the same issue.

As your issue is solved, please mark a response as Accepted Solution, so  the topic can be completed then. We appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
john321
Adventurer
Adventurer
PS. The "non-module Files" in the picture above are indeed "hdmi_wrapper.vhd" so perhaps creation isnt a problem but reading is?
0 Kudos
migrotechy
Participant
Participant

I now have the very same problem with Vivado 2017.4 on a Win7-64 Pro machine that has now internet connection.

I wonder why there is no answer at all. This is an absolute no-go.

Please, anybody knows a solution to this crucial problem?

Is there a way to disable the need for a signature verification?

Michael

0 Kudos
john321
Adventurer
Adventurer

I don't know if any of this is relevant but I have further information on this issue:

1. The version of vcredist supplied with Vivado is not the same as the latest version supplied

by microsoft support. The version supplied by microsoft support installs fine but does not work

with Vivado.

2. The vcredist supplied by microsoft support is EARLIER than the one supplied with Vivado. Presumably there is a reason for that - perhaps someone could explain?

3. the vcredist supplied with Vivado (14.0.24210) does not contain vcomp140.dll (at least in the unwrapped folder it doesnt)  - and the version with the microsoft files does not work - causing vivado to random crash.

It would be good to know Xilinx is looking into this please.

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @migrotechy,

As the log contains the following error messages

Error 0x800b010a: Failed authenticode verification of payload 
Error 0x800b010a: Failed to verify signature of payload 

This indicates that the OS failed to verify that the redist libraries were genuine. 
If you are installing a vanilla OS from scratch on a machine that has never been connected to the internet then perhaps the relevant certificates would not be available. 
In this case you should talk to your IT department about this problem to see if they can give you an update for the certificates.

The following articles might help you to work around the issue: 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
john321
Adventurer
Adventurer

anatoli

The current version of vcredist as supplied by microsoft installs without issue.

The version supplied with Vivado is the only one that does not install.

Can you explain why please?

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @john321,

Vivado 2017.x comes with vcredist 2015, Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86 and x64) - 14.0.24210

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86 and x64) - 14.0.23026 is in your case.

You can try manually installing vcredist that comes with Vivado, which is normally located here: Vivado C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.x\tps\win64  (vcredist_x64.exe) and then see if you see the same behavior or not?

However, if this install (Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86 and x64) - 14.0.24210) is being done in environment where internet access is/was not possible, then this issue is due to some trusted root certificates not being installed or are missing from the offline box. That means that your windows is missing some Microsoft certificates and error is caused due to this. To verify if this is the case:

1. Open certification manager (Win+R -> certmgr.msc)
  2. Go to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" -> "Certificates"
  3. Check for:
    • "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority"
    • "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2010"
    • "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2011".
    • You most likely don't have all of them for some reason.

Please check this useful article that explains this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32774218/visual-studio-2015-installation-issue-sqldom-amd64-sqldom-msi/34109313#34109313 

To resolve this problem, you'd need to manually download the root certificate updates that are described in the some Microsoft Knowledge Base articles (Google can provide you with the required info on how this can be done, e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40156636/how-to-install-remote-tools-for-visual-studio-2015-on-machine-not-connected-to-t). 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

migrotechy
Participant
Participant

Hello all,

first, thank you for the assistance.

I meanwhile did find a solution for me that worked.

I installed Vivado on a machine that had internet connection. Then using mmc.exe I exported all certificates and imported those into my offline PC (also using mmc.exe). At that time I did not know which certificates were relevant. Thus, I used all.

Thank you,
Michael

anatoli

Hello @migrotechy,

Thanks a lot for letting us know and we are glad to see your issue is resolved now. And thanks for sharing your workaround that helped you to resolve the problem. This should help other users with the same issue.

As your issue is solved, please mark a response as Accepted Solution, so  the topic can be completed then. We appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
migrotechy
Participant
Participant
Hello Anatoli,
I don't think I can accept a response as the topic was opened by John.
Regards,
Michael
0 Kudos
john321
Adventurer
Adventurer

Sorry for the delay in accepting this - I've been moving on a bit...

The solution above should work.

However  I couldn't make it work for me but I found an easier way involving

over-writting microsofts distribution with the Vivado (unwrapped) files. This seems to

work fine.

I've detailed this a bit and a few other issues I had on my sites forum if

anyone is still having problems with windows.

It seems the certificates are not required so perhaps xilinx or whoever

could re-compile for future releases to avoid this issue.

Thanks for all the input.

john

0 Kudos
xiaohu125
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Michael:

I followed Anatoli's step,

1. exported that three Certification seperately mentioned out of my another pc which has installed vivado 2017.x successfully, then

2. imported the three xxx.cer files into my computer with the problem

3. and then excuted the 'vcredist_x64.exe' located in the d:/xilinx/vivado/2017.x/tps/win64, and install it succesfully!

4. then I could launch vivado 2017.x normally

Regards,

Xiaohu125

0 Kudos