UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie yosoycosa

Re: Install ISE on a Mac

I have translated this post into English, I hope it can help you: http://divisordetension.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/how-to-install-ise-webpack-on-mac.html

Visitor orbital_fox
Visitor

+1 On true cross-platform availability. If anything allow the community to assist you.

0 Kudos
Visitor ekmautner
Visitor

Planahead 14.7 when run on Windows 7 has a memory leak that manifests itself when the tool is left open.  Because of the way windows doesn't manage memory allocated to applications, the only way to recover the Windows 7 PC is an eventual reboot.

PLEASE port all Xilinx tools over to OSX.. These problems don't exist on Linux and OSX!!

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

These are Java apps, so maybe they will exist on OSX and Linux as well.
0 Kudos
Newbie alavem13

Is there no way of getting the USB-Jtag cable to work via Windows in Parallels on a Mac?  I can program and synthesize, but not upload to the FPGA-board.

I do not have much experience with Xilinx. I use it as a part of my education. Studying electronic engineer. I have always been a mac-user, and I have all our various programs/software up and running via the Parallels virtual machine. I therefore hope, that I can have Xilinx running though the same virtual machine, rather then having to get another, or even have to bring a physical old fashioned Windows machine to the university, like some of my fellow mac-students now do. Unfortunatly.

I seek for guidance, as I haven't found anything useful on the internet yet.

Best regards

Andrea, Denmark

0 Kudos
Newbie alavem13

I have found a solution for the problem of uploading to board from mac via windows on Parallels, if anyone are having same problem as I had.

I am using the usb-jtag cable with the Diligent Adapt software on the virtual machine instead of the xup usb-jtag cable. It didn't work at first, but second time it did. I thinkt it may be the cable, that has a loose connection. But it works. Yay!

0 Kudos
Newbie intech2

I too, would prefer to use a Mac native version.  I use a Mac laptop hardware and OS because of its reliability.  Nearly all of my other engineering software has been ported to the Mac.  The most recent for me is Simplicity Studio for Silicon Labs was recently rewritten in Java and runs much better on a Mac than in Windows.

I use a VM Windows 7 using Fusion only for my 3D CAD and Xilinx these days.  These work perfectly and by shutting them down when not being used, the Apple Time Machine back up works perfectly for restoring crashes, treating the VM as a file to be backed up.  (A paused VM does not back up well.  This is from personal experience.)  Recovering a corrupted OS or app from a backedup, shutdown VM is very fast.  All the USB modules I have tried so far work fine.  When you plug something in, Fusion politely asks you what OS you want to connect it to.  I find that my VM runs much faster than runing the Xilinx software on a native Windows machine ... don't know why.  I have successfully run Windows 7, WindowsXP, and the Mac OS, all at the same time with different USB hardware connected to each on my 17" PowerBook.  (Install lots of RAM if you try this.)  I haven't owned a desktop computer for nearly 20 years but I do work with them frequently when helping others.  My office is completely portable.  All my sensitive data is on an encrypted virtual disk and everything is backed up to an external Dual RAID drive.  My hard drive crashed recently and I was back up and running with a reformated HD within 6 hours, recovering everything except a few recent emails from the backup system.  (I have 1.2TB of data on my laptop.)

You could never convence me to use a Windows machine after running VMs on a Mac.  Reliability, maintenance, migration, speed, flexability, all are better on any flavor of UNIX OS than it is under Windows.  VMs are a good compromise until the authors of applications learn that the professional community doesn't want to mess about trying to keep their computer running clean.  Java appears to be the most used language of the applications for engineering community the of the future as it lets you choose what works best for you.  Only engineers designing in a single field and are comfortable with Windows might want to stay with Windows.  All those I know who have tried using a Mac have not gone back to Windows.  All those I know that have put their Windows OS on VMs have never looked back either.

In the end, you need to decide what works best for you, but it is a mistake to assume that everyone is OK with engineering software only available on Windows.  For us Mac guys, VMs under Fusion work great.

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

I agree with you.  Vivado and ISE are already Java apps, so this should not be a lot of extra work. 

I will add that I run Vivado on a Linux VM under MacOS, but otherwise use the same.

0 Kudos
Newbie papiertuete

Iirc nothing has changed yet, right?

Has there been any statement or info by Xilinx?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Nothing that I've seen. Given that Xilinx seems to be spending a lot of their time just keeping Vivado working with Windows each time MS does an update, it seems unlikely that they will have the time or inclination to port it over to run on a Mac.

0 Kudos
Newbie papiertuete

I see.

Have you tried to install it in a Docker Linux environment running on the Mac?
VirtualBox gave me problems regarding USB Port access, the FPGA couldn't be found.

0 Kudos
Newbie mohammad

managing Xilinx license

Hi,

Xilinx ISE 14.7 runs okk on my Mac Air. But I am unable to download the license that had been sent to my e-mail. It downloads as Xilinx.lic.text and unable to load it in the manage license tab.

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Re: managing Xilinx license

Try renaming it to Xilinx.lic and then load it.

0 Kudos

Hello @mohammad,

As correctly indicated, the reason why VLM can't load the license is because it has the extension of .lic.txt. If you rename the license to Xilinx.lic, this should work for you then.

Please note that for any new issue that you get in the future, please open a new/separate Forum topic/thread for this, as this particular question that you have asked in this thread isn't related to this specific forum topic, but a separate issue altogether (i.e. the original issue of this forum thread is installing the Xilinx ISE tool on a Mac and not specifically to installing an ISE license on MAC).

Please note that renaming the subject/title of the thread doesn't mean that this would create a new Forum topic. Therefore, that is the reason why we advise you to create a new/separate Forum topic/thread for your new issues going forward.

If you have any questions on the above, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos