Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seppi
Participant
Participant

Installation of Vivado 2020.1 under Centos 7.8 fails

Jump to solution

I try to install Vivado and Vitis 2020.1 under Centos 7.8. After starting 'xsetup', I get an error message saying that only Centos versions 7.4-7.7 and 8.1 are supported, but that installation may can be continued (see attachment).

vivado_2020_wrong_os.png

Unfortunately, the installer then hangs, giving some Java errors in the console window in which it was started:

xsetup_java_error.png

I guess that the newer Centos version isn't the real problem and that the tools would run also with that OS.

For me it seems that the installer doesn't handle correct the exception and fails to return from the error window.

Anybody an idea how to circumvent this problem?

Thanks for your help!

40 Replies
aivchenko
Visitor
Visitor

For Ubuntu 18.04.5

> sudo gedit /usr/lib/os-release

replace with 18.04.3 or 4

Install Vivado 2020.1

revert /usr/lib/os-release to 5

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello All,

Please be aware that this behaviour with Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" is addressed in the next 2020.2 version of Vivado (and newer versions). You should not see this behaviour with the newer Vivado/Vitis releases.

However, once again, installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems is not officially support, which means Xilinx didn't test Xilinx tools on these unsupported OSs, so there could be other issues on the line, even if you can successfully install Vivado/Vitis on an unsupported OS.

The recommendation is always to try and use one of the supported OS as provided in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

i.e.

image.png

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
judouk

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get Vivado 2020.1 installed.

I keep my installations centrally managed (autofs with a modules setup) so my tools are installed in /NFS/apps

In the case of Vivado, I was able to run

./xsetup -b ConfigGen
vim ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt
./xsetup --batch Install --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --location /NFS/apps/Xilinx --config ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

and I have a working installation - great.

However, I was then asked to install Vitis so

./xsetup -b ConfigGen
vim ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

./xsetup --batch Add --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --location /NFS/apps/Xilinx --config ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

but this fails

$ ./xsetup --batch Add --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --location /NFS/apps/Xilinx --config ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

Running in batch mode...

Copyright (c) 1986-2020 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.

INFO : Log file location - /NFS/home/judouk/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1603222512125.log

ERROR: An existing installation of Vivado 2020.1 has been detected at /NFS/apps/Xilinx.To install a new copy of 2020.1, please provide an alternate destination directory.To update the current installation, use the "Add Design Tools or Devices" option from the Help Menu within Vivadoor the program entry in the Start Menu.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
chettige
Participant
Participant

Hey @judouk,

When I faced this issue, I did a clean installation of Vitis. For that, had to remove the original Vivado installation at /NFS/apps/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.1 and also had to delete the relevant files inside Download Folder /NFS/apps/Xilinx/Downloads/2020.1 and other related files there. Then rerun the Vitis installation. You might be successful running the upgrade without deleting Vivado installation, but just the Downloads folder content. I can't be sure of that.

PS: Rather than the batch installation, the solution provided by @stew.hansen would provide you a smoother experience.

judouk

@chettige and @stew.hansen 

THANK YOU

In my environment, we have a CentOS 7 installation and all that was needed was a change to /etc/centos-release (which is symbolically linked to /etc/redhat-release).

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo) 

I am so surprised that the contents of this text file cause so many problems with the installer! 

0 Kudos

You should at least test it on the latest releases of the OSes you support. Like ubuntu 18.04.5, because the installer blows up on any OS not explicitly mentioned as being supported as far as I can see.

0 Kudos
chettige
Participant
Participant

@started_rc_in_1986 Apparently it's now ROFL 

chettige_0-1605188205646.png

0 Kudos

I started using Xilinx in 1986 and this is the worst install release I've seen. I was trying to install in a VM (VirtualBox) and even when I went to 18.04.4 I am still having hard time. For a company valued at $30 Billion you would think they could hire one person to check all this out. 

0 Kudos
chettige
Participant
Participant

@started_rc_in_1986 Wait, isn't it the case that we the users are supposed to fix the issues while Xilinx ship products that even include developer home directories! 

0 Kudos
dyessgg
Participant
Participant

Same thing with Ubuntu 18.04.5.  I can't imagine what in an Ubuntu LTS point release would break well-behaving code written to published APIs, especially on top of JAVA.

Thanks for the work-arounds.  A little clumsy, but it works.  Now time for Xilinx to get their act in gear and support ALL LTS versions!

0 Kudos

Thank you! Worked on Linux-Mint 20.1

0 Kudos