Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Installation of Vivado 2020.1 under Centos 7.8 fails

Jump to solution

I try to install Vivado and Vitis 2020.1 under Centos 7.8. After starting 'xsetup', I get an error message saying that only Centos versions 7.4-7.7 and 8.1 are supported, but that installation may can be continued (see attachment).

vivado_2020_wrong_os.png

Unfortunately, the installer then hangs, giving some Java errors in the console window in which it was started:

xsetup_java_error.png

I guess that the newer Centos version isn't the real problem and that the tools would run also with that OS.

For me it seems that the installer doesn't handle correct the exception and fails to return from the error window.

Anybody an idea how to circumvent this problem?

Thanks for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello @bmarcotte247 ,

Thanks a lot for your great suggestions for the workaround to this issue, even when this is unsupported OS.

Said that, we don't prevent people from being able to install on unsupported OS, however still need to warn users about unsupported flow (i.e. installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems).

Perhaps someone is forced to go to e.g. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or CentOS 7.8 like in this situation, and still needs Vivado 2020.1, below is something that was shared from other users that may help you to overcome this "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE", as you will also most-likely face this message, i.e.:

Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" java.lang.IllegalStateException: no splash screen available
    at java.desktop/java.awt.SplashScreen.checkVisible(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.SplashScreen.getBounds(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.SplashScreen.getSize(Unknown Source)
    at com.xilinx.installer.gui.H.run(Unknown Source)

The workaround is to launch the installer in batch mode.

Some quick steps are describe in the this post (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256564)

Steps:

1) Download Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208.tar.gz from the Xilinx Download page and extract the content

2) generate the Authentication Token using your Xilinx Account

./xsetup -b AuthTokenGen

Running in batch mode...
Copyright (c) 1986-2020 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.

INFO : Log file location - /home/user_name/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1592209834385.log
INFO : Log file location - /home/user_name/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1592209834385.log
INFO : Internet connection validated, can connect to internet.
INFO : In order to generate the authentication token please provide your Xilinx account User Email Address and password.
User E-mail address: 
Password:

INFO : Generating authentication token...
INFO : Saved authentication token file successfully, valid until 06/22/2020 10:32 AM

3) generate the installation config

./xsetup -b ConfigGen

Running in batch mode...

INFO : Log file location - /home/user_name/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1592209963861.log
Select a Product from the list:
1. Vitis
2. Vivado
3. On-Premises Install for Cloud Deployments
4. BootGen
5. Lab Edition
6. Hardware Server
7. Documentation Navigator (Standalone)

Please choose from options above:  e.g. 

Select an Edition from the list:
1. Vivado HL WebPACK
2. Vivado HL Design Edition
3. Vivado HL System Edition

Please choose: e.g. 3

INFO : Config file available at /home/user_name/.Xilinx/install_config.txt. Please use -c <filename> to point to this install configuration.

4) The Installation (replace config path and maybe target directory)

sudo ./xsetup --batch Install --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --location /opt/Xilinx/ --config "/home/user_name/.Xilinx/install_config.txt"

Running in batch mode...

INFO : Log file location - /root/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1592210290697.log
INFO : Installing Edition: Vitis Unified Software Platform
INFO : Installation directory is /opt/Xilinx/

Installing files, 99% completed. (Done)                         
It took 12 minutes to install files.

INFO : Log file is copied to : /opt/Xilinx/.xinstall/Vitis_2020.1/xinstall.log
INFO : Installation completed successfully.For the platforms: please visit xilinx.com and review the "Getting Started Guide" UG1301

5) Launch Vivado

user_name@machine_name:/tmp$ source /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.1/settings64.sh
user_name@machine_name:/tmp$ vivado

****** Vivado v2020.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2902540 on Wed May 27 19:54:35 MDT 2020
  **** IP Build 2902112 on Wed May 27 22:43:36 MDT 2020
    ** Copyright 1986-2020 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

start_gui

However, once again, installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems is not officially support, which means Xilinx didn't test Xilinx tools on these unsupported OSs, so there could be other issues on the line, even if you can successfully install Vivado/Vitis on an unsupported OS.

The recommendation is always to try and use one of the supported OS as provided in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

i.e.

image.png

Hope this helps to other users. 

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

38 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I have the same issue.  Please let me know if there is a work-around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I ran into the same issue where the GUI would not come up.  I solved it by installing it via command line as follows.

First generate an installation configuration file:

$ ./xsetup -b ConfigGen

Adjust any options in that configuration file, and install with this command:

$ ./xsetup --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --batch Add --config <your_configuration_file>

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The complete steps are:

1)  Extract the files from Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin

./ Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin --keep --noexec --target directory

ie.

./ Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208_Lin64.bin --keep --noexec --target xilinx_2020.1

2) Create batch mode config file

cd xilinx_2020.1

./xsetup -b ConfigGen

Select product from list:   I selected 1 for Vitis

Config file will created at ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

3) Edit the config file and change the Destination if desired

4) Create an Authority Token

./xsetup -b AuthTokenGen

You will be prompted for the username and password for your Xilinx account

5) Perform Download and install

./xsetup --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --batch Add --config ~/.Xilinx/install_config.txt

Highlighted

Hi,

Idem ditto here for an installation on Linux-Mint 19.3

Kind regards,

Marc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @bmarcotte247 ,

Thanks a lot for your great suggestions for the workaround to this issue, even when this is unsupported OS.

Said that, we don't prevent people from being able to install on unsupported OS, however still need to warn users about unsupported flow (i.e. installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems).

Perhaps someone is forced to go to e.g. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or CentOS 7.8 like in this situation, and still needs Vivado 2020.1, below is something that was shared from other users that may help you to overcome this "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE", as you will also most-likely face this message, i.e.:

Exception in thread "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" java.lang.IllegalStateException: no splash screen available
    at java.desktop/java.awt.SplashScreen.checkVisible(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.SplashScreen.getBounds(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.SplashScreen.getSize(Unknown Source)
    at com.xilinx.installer.gui.H.run(Unknown Source)

The workaround is to launch the installer in batch mode.

Some quick steps are describe in the this post (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256564)

Steps:

1) Download Xilinx_Unified_2020.1_0602_1208.tar.gz from the Xilinx Download page and extract the content

2) generate the Authentication Token using your Xilinx Account

./xsetup -b AuthTokenGen

Running in batch mode...

INFO : Internet connection validated, can connect to internet.
INFO : In order to generate the authentication token please provide your Xilinx account User Email Address and password.
User E-mail address: 
Password:

INFO : Generating authentication token...
INFO : Saved authentication token file successfully, valid until 06/22/2020 10:32 AM

3) generate the installation config

./xsetup -b ConfigGen

Running in batch mode...

INFO : Log file location - /home/user_name/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1592209963861.log
Select a Product from the list:
1. Vitis
2. Vivado
3. On-Premises Install for Cloud Deployments
4. BootGen
5. Lab Edition
6. Hardware Server
7. Documentation Navigator (Standalone)

Please choose from options above:  e.g. 

Select an Edition from the list:
1. Vivado HL WebPACK
2. Vivado HL Design Edition
3. Vivado HL System Edition

Please choose: e.g. 3

INFO : Config file available at /home/user_name/.Xilinx/install_config.txt. Please use -c <filename> to point to this install configuration.

4) The Installation (replace config path and maybe target directory)

sudo ./xsetup --batch Install --agree XilinxEULA,3rdPartyEULA,WebTalkTerms --location /opt/Xilinx/ --config "/home/user_name/.Xilinx/install_config.txt"

Running in batch mode...

INFO : Log file location - /root/.Xilinx/xinstall/xinstall_1592210290697.log
INFO : Installing Edition: Vitis Unified Software Platform
INFO : Installation directory is /opt/Xilinx/

Installing files, 99% completed. (Done)                         
It took 12 minutes to install files.

INFO : Log file is copied to : /opt/Xilinx/.xinstall/Vitis_2020.1/xinstall.log
INFO : Installation completed successfully.For the platforms: please visit xilinx.com and review the "Getting Started Guide" UG1301

5) Launch Vivado

user_name@machine_name:/tmp$ source /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.1/settings64.sh
user_name@machine_name:/tmp$ vivado

****** Vivado v2020.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2902540 on Wed May 27 19:54:35 MDT 2020
  **** IP Build 2902112 on Wed May 27 22:43:36 MDT 2020
    ** Copyright 1986-2020 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

start_gui

However, once again, installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems is not officially support, which means Xilinx didn't test Xilinx tools on these unsupported OSs, so there could be other issues on the line, even if you can successfully install Vivado/Vitis on an unsupported OS.

The recommendation is always to try and use one of the supported OS as provided in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

i.e.

image.png

Hope this helps to other users. 

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue on Centos 8.2. I can't use 8.1 as I can't downgrade. Can Xilinx look into this please?

Vivado 2019.2 Fails in exactly the same way as 2020.2 Batch install. Hangs at the last step. See https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Entry/librdi-commontasks-so-and-libtinfo-so-5-are-not-being-loaded/td-p/1055657

See https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Installation-of-Vivado-2020-1-and-2019-2-under-Centos-8-1-fails/m-p/1124598#M29720 for future progress. Trying Centos 8.1 with no updates. I am kinda disappointed that it is so fragile.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @dpark ,

Please note that it is not officially supported, so Xilinx hasn't tested Xilinx software tools on any unsupported OSs.

The above is just a workaround that works for some users under CentOS 7.8.

If the workaround isn't working for you, you need to obtain and use an official supported OS, as Xilinx can't provide any further support if the issue is in relation to one of the unsupported Operating Systems.

Even if you'd manage to install this successfully, there would be most likely further issues when you'd be using the tools. We don't have this Centos 8.2 available to be able to test this and help you further on this issue.

As such, if you encounter the same behaviour on one of the supported OSs, please let us know, and we can then be able to help you with that problem.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the reply; the situation is slightly complicated, as I was trying multiple versions to get the install to work. As stated in the last post of the thread linked above, I still had problems installing on a fresh install of the supported Centos 8.1. To get the install to succeed I had to tweak the libraries as detailed in the last post of the thred linked above, duplicate here for your convenience. It says Centos 8.2 all over, but I ended up switching to Centos 8.1 at the end. https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Installation-of-Vivado-2020-1-and-2019-2-under-Centos-8-2-fails/m-p/1124669/highlight/true#M29724

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I simply changed /etc/redhat-release from "CentOS Linux release 7.7.2003 (Core)" to "CentOS Linux release 7.6.2003 (Core)" to trick the installer.

It's just the "OS unsupported" message window which is buggy.

Highlighted

Readers should take into account that this is bypassing checks the Xilinx rep has already said were in place to prevent you from foot-gunning, so this is all on you. On Ubuntu you just need to change /etc/os-release VERSION to have 18.04.4 in it instead of 20.04 (as of now, July 2020 for version 2020.1). Run it once, look at the versions in the dialog box, and edit the VERSION key in that file to match one that's listed there.

It appears the problem really is a bug in the dialog that says the OS is unsupported, which is... quite frustrating since that dialog is likely never tested. In telling people things might be broken the installer is breaking something.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am not sure why the posts about the unsupported dialog are relevant to this thread; it can to be bypassed by clicking the appropriate button. Maybe open a separate issue if you are experiencing issues with the unsupported version dialog on Ubuntu. I’m no expert, but editing the Ubuntu /etc/os-release release version doesn’t seem to be a good workaround, as this change is OS wide, and may have other consequences. 

Highlighted
> it can to be bypassed by clicking the appropriate button
That's the problem, no it cannot. The process breaks with the error above (no splash screen) and no GUI comes up.
As for the VERSION, yeah you should change it back when you're done installing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Apparently I didn’t understand the problem. Sorry. That GUI not displaying is what happed to me in Centos 8.2. You can also try the command line installer, referenced in my link earlier. 

Highlighted

FWIW I wiped a harddrive and installed Centos 8.1, then I installed Vitis. Once I install, I can't even boot into Centos anymore (I did this a couple times just to be sure I wasn't crazy). It reboots and acts normally before installing Vitis and only gets stuck after installation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Fooling the installation tools about the OS is indeed the way to go. I did the same with Linux Mint 19, and survived to write a post in my blog, explaining how I did it:

http://billauer.co.il/blog/2020/08/vivado-install-unsupported-linux/

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@paintballboband @billauer

I did the installation with direct changing the content of os-release via

sudo gedit /etc/os-release

to 18.04 from 20.04 (Ubuntu). After installation, I changed that back.

But when playing a little bit with Vitis, the buggy Pop-Up with the not working OK button appeared again (I think it was with updating some resources in Vitis). So for later (after being able to program my first FPGA), I will write a small script to start Vitis/Vivado with changed release version and repair the version after finishing my work.

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

The command line installation in the accepted answer does not create an icon in the show applications menu

Is there a way to do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @rothy18 ,

Please run NetworkShortcutSetup.exe from e.g. C:\Xilinx\.xinstall\Vivado_2019.2\bin\ to get the correct shortcuts, etc. on that particular machine.

image.png

However, with the batch mode installation, this would normally be done in the Configuration File as instructed in the UG973-> Batch Mode Installation Flow (pg 51, onward) 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

image.png

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I changed on my Ubuntu machine in /etc/os-release

into

and setup works like a charm. Thanks!

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hello @anatoli 

I forgot to mention that my context is Vitis 2020.1 and Ubuntu 18.04.5

but thanks for the link to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

and hints regarding CreateProgramGroupShortcuts ...

In my context (and your accepted solution ) I would have to modify

"/home/user_name/.Xilinx/install_config.txt"

before doing

right?

But does CreateProgramGroupShortcuts also work on Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @rothy18 ,

Yes, that is correct.

And indeed, CreateProgramGroupShortcuts will also work for all supported OSs, including Ubuntu.

Do you see an issue when you have CreateProgramGroupShortcuts=1 in your install_config.txt?

If you do, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I have another question regarding installation in batch mode

What would be the uninstall procedure

Would it be ok to do

sudo rm -R /opt/Xilinx

or would you recommend some something else ?

Kind Regards

rothy18

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @rothy18 ,

The command to uninstall Vivado is:

<Vivado installation directory>Xilinx/.xinstall/Vivado_2020.1/xuninstall -Uninstall

If there are any folders/files left unremoved by running the command above, please manually remove these.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

"f the workaround isn't working for you, you need to obtain and use an official supported OS, "

Uh.. no. Xilinx needs to stop forcing its users to use outdated insecure versions of operating systems. For what you guys charge us for product, we should be getting better support. You need to get your act together before some of us start looking to other suppliers. 

Highlighted

Hello @turland ,

Please note that we (Xilinx) are building and testing our Software based on the release of Operating Systems that are secured versions of operating systems.
Xilinx would not build and test Xilinx software on an insecure version of an operating system. We would also not recommend/force any user to install Xilinx tools on such operating systems.

In relation to this issue with the fact that hitting OK on this dialog pop up, produces a Java "SPLASH_LOAD_MESSAGE" error, indeed, we are currently investigating this issue and will address this in the newer version of Vivado. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

However, once again, installing Xilinx tools on one of the unsupported Operating Systems in the first place is not officially support, which means that since Xilinx didn't test Xilinx Software on these unsupported OSs, there could be other issues on the line, even if you can successfully install Vivado/Vitis on an unsupported OS.

The recommendation is always to use one of the supported OS as provided in UG973: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello @anatoli or @bmarcotte247,

Can you give me the similar directions to install the 2020.1.1 update on top of the 2020.1 installations? I am on a similar unsupported OS and wanted to update the version after following said steps to install base 2020.1 version. I tried similar steps to no better outcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks Anatoli. I realize that you would not deliberately support an insecure operating system, but issues are discovered over time and the end result is that eventually the only choice for installation is an insecure/outdated version of an OS. That's the situation I found myself in when I initially tried an installation. When I went to install, I had a updated version of Ubuntu that was at 18.04.05. The installation failed complaining that the latest version supported was 18.04.04. I realize that 18.04.05 is now supported, but without a workaround, Xilinx essentially was expecting me to downgrade to an older version of Ubuntu. That's unexceptable.

The  the other issue is that Ubuntu 20.04 was available in April with beta versions well before that. That was eight months ago and there should have been plenty of time to implement support. Yeah, I understand there are issues and I know what some of them are, but you should have resolved those issues weeks ago. You guys charge a lot for your products and the level of support should be commensurate with the costs. 

I'm able to work around the issue, but I'm definitely concerned about the time that it takes for updates. It raises a lot of questions about both your organization and the product.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
I did the same except with Ubuntu 18.04.5.
Changed OS name in /etc/os-release to 18.04.4 for the install and the changed it back.
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thank you very much @stew.hansen. That was the best solution out of all. Also, that solves the issue of the "Xilinx Information Center" not properly identifying the newer installation or the update not recognizing the existing installation! 

0 Kudos